Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video card

• Please log in to reply

tcollie

tcollie

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I narrowed it down to 2 cards XFX 6600gt and XFX 6800
6600gt http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150089

6800 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150106

6800 $162 $142after $20 rebate
6600gt $146

6600gt chip clock 500 memclock 900 P-pipes 8
6800 chip clock 325 memclock 700 P-pipes 12
I got the 6800 because on tom’s hardware they seamed more concerned with the pipes then chip clock speed. Did I make the right decision or is the 6600gt the better card

Advertisements

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
6800gt is a better card. Congratulations!

tcollie

tcollie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks, I had a 5700 LE and some of my games where jurky.

tcollie

tcollie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was wondering if the sound card is as important as the video cars in 3d gamming. When I usually see the jerkiness it is when there is a lot of sound going on. I’m using the sound that came with the mother board. It’s a chaintech 7NJL6nVida socket A the sound chip is 5.1 channel AC’97 codec. Should I be using this sound or a different sound card?

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes, on newer games sound really bogs down your performance. Choose a lower sound profile or buy a Creative Labs card (the Audigy 2 or Audigy 4 or even the new X-Fi).

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes, on newer games sound really bogs down your performance. Choose a lower sound profile or buy a Creative Labs card (the Audigy 2 or Audigy 4 or even the new X-Fi).