Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete Shutdown of Computer

• Please log in to reply

whovey

whovey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Windows 98SE computer which I have recentlyl had fixed by reinstalling a clean copy of Windows98SE.

I have 56k RAm and recently have had the computer shut down more frequently in the last two months.

Do you have any fixes which do not included an entire reformatting of the Hard drive?

Thank you ahead of time.

(removed personal info)

Edited by admin, 07 September 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well a little more info would be nice. To clarify the computer shutsdown when you are using it without you telling it to? does it go through the normal procedure or does it just go off. what kind of computer is it? In device manager what does it say you have for a display adaptor? what problems where you having before that caused you to get the system restore? How long ago was this done and did the shutdowns start right after you had it redone?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi whovey...Welcome to G2G!

I have 56k RAm

I sure hope this is a typo! Haven't seen that kind of RAM since my first Tandy 1000! :)

As for possible "fixes" for your computer, I'll need a little more information. What kind of computer is this and how old is it? Can you describe just how it shuts down? Do you get any error messages?

Frequent shutdowns can be caused by a number of things, not the least of which are heat related problems. When was the last time your machine was cleaned?

Please post back with a little more information on your machine and Remember...it is not a good idea to include personal information in an open forum.

Sorry shard92...you slipped in while I was typing my reply! :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2005 - 02:24 PM.