Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i update my BIOS Version?

• Please log in to reply

baddabing

baddabing

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

I've downloaded a new bios version for my pc from dell. I have saved it onto a 3.5" disc. How do i update from the disc please?

Thanks in advance for your help,

baddabing. :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Is there any special reason why you feel you have to update your BIOS??

Unless you are facing a specific problem, the smartest "Rule of Thumb" concerning the BIOS is " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" !!

BTW.. The Dell website should have a tutorial on upgrading the BIOS on one of their systems..

Murray

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi,

I've downloaded a new bios version for my pc from dell.  I have saved it onto a 3.5" disc.  How do i update from the disc please?

Thanks in advance for your help,

baddabing.  :tazz:

View Post

I'n updating the BIOS because it is out of date and i have a new processor that is not compatible with the old version bios.

I also need to update it because i am using xp pro now and not millenium.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
So, did you check the Dell website ??

Murray

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I'n updating the BIOS because it is out of date and i have a new processor that is not compatible with the old version bios.

I also need to update it because i am using xp pro now and not millenium.

View Post

I did and cannot find anything on there regarding tutorials for bios updates.

baddabing. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Make and model of your Dell??

Also, I just went there and did a simple "BIOS" search and came up with the instructions on how to flash the BIOS on seven different systems.. And that was just the first page!!

Murray

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Make and model of your Dell??

Also, I just went there and did a simple "BIOS" search and came up with the instructions on how to flash the BIOS on seven different systems..  And that was just the first page!!

Murray

View Post

Sounds promising. :tazz: It's a Dell Dimension 4300. BIOS Version is A06.

Thanks for you help.

baddabing :)

Edited by baddabing, 07 September 2005 - 03:43 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Instructions

Murray

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Instructions

Murray

View Post

Great stuff. thanks! :)

It looks as though i must have changed the order of my boot devices as floppy disk was at the bottom and unticked.

All my hardware appears to be fine on device manager, so I'll fit the cpu tomorrow when I've got some daylight. :)

Thanks again for your assistance and patience. :tazz:

Kind regards,

baddabing. :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem and good luck..

Just be careful.. if you do it wrong, you will end up with a very expensivr doorstop!!

Murray

Advertisements

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Not a problem and good luck..

Just be careful..  if you do it wrong, you will end up with a very expensivr doorstop!!

Murray

View Post

I had the old cpu (1.7) out last week - went to put a used (2.8) replacement one in but the pins were bent. :) The replacement arrived today and looks fine. :ph34r:

The only other problem i had was removing the retaining clips from the heatsink :) , but eventually got them out. :)

Looking forward to hopefully having a swifter PC as my old dell is lagging behind the times. (and i like to play some online games)

It was running on ME but i upgraded to XP Pro - had to re-install some of my drivers etc but got there in the end.

I guess more ram is needed next - my MOBO will take a gig so that'll do me fine. :ph34r:

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

No doubt I'll be back some time in the future LOL. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just make sure the new processor doesn't run any higher than 400FSB or the system probably won't boot..

It appears the max CPU that can go in is a 2.8gHz 400FSB..

Murray

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Just make sure the new processor doesn't run any higher than 400FSB or the system probably won't boot..

It appears the max CPU that can go in is a 2.8gHz 400FSB..

Murray

View Post

yeah its definitely got a 400MGZ FSB. I checked on powerleap for max upgrade and yes you're right ; it is 2.8. :tazz:

I'm not sure how much faster it will be over my 1.7 but i should notice a bit of a difference in speed? :)

baddabing

baddabing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

yeah its definitely got a 400MGZ FSB.  I checked on powerleap for max upgrade and yes you're right ; it is 2.8.  :tazz:

I'm not sure how much faster it will be over my 1.7 but i should notice a bit of a difference in speed?  :)

View Post

After updating bios the 2.8 cpu is still not functioning. It is a used one and the seller has insisted that it works on his pc. The FSB etc are fully compatible with my motherboard.

I would like to add that the chip had to be sent back as some of the pins were out of line. He has now straightened them and sent it back, but the cpu does need a slight push for it to go into the socket with the arm in the upright position. :)

Any ideas why I'm just getting a blank screen? :)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You may want to check your mobo documentation.. There could be a jumper or BIOS setting that neds to be changed..

Murray