Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Mass Storage - Code 10

• Please log in to reply

cjones72

cjones72

• Pip
  • 7 posts
USB Mass Storage (in Windows XP) appears with a yellow triangle and "!"

Under the Control Panel it says that there is no driver for the USB mass storage. There have been messages saying "Code 10" and "Code 45"

I tried going through troubleshooting and uninstalling and reinstalling hardware, but nothing seems to be working. I don't know if I'm even trying the right things.

I am a girl and a computer illiterate one at that. Please help if you can, I would appreciate it very much.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
OK, questions, questions. Do you have a mass storage device connected now, or have you ever had one attached? Or is this a used computer that came with this problem?

Some posible answers. If you see an icon show up in the system tray saying "remove hardware safely" open it and use it to remove the phantom device, if that is what it is. On the other hand if there is an actual device, an external hard drive, then you need to run the software installation cd for it.

If that helps, let us know. If it doesn't, let us know too and we'll suggest some other things.

cjones72

cjones72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

OK, questions, questions. Do you have a mass storage device connected now, or have you ever had one attached? Or is this a used computer that came with this problem?

Some posible answers. If you see an icon show up in the system tray saying "remove hardware safely" open it and use it to remove the phantom device, if that is what it is. On the other hand if there is an actual device, an external hard drive, then you need to run the software installation cd for it.

If that helps, let us know. If it doesn't, let us know too and we'll suggest some other things.

View Post

I'm on a sony vaio laptop, that is my own and was bought new. I don't believe that i have an external mass storage device connected to my computer. i'm not exactly sure what is considered to be one, though, i did try and understand what it is that is going on--unsuccessfully. The message first came up when i plugged in my iPod last week (this qualifies as a mass s. device? i dont know). Suddenly, out of nowhere, my computer stopped opening iTunes and read that no iPod was connected to my computer. I went through Apple Support and did every thing they asked me to until coming upon the chance that it my be a problem with my USB. Until this point nothing had seemed suspicious.

I followed their directions about going to my Control Panel settings and finding the USB information to verify that both USB ports were functioning. When i was looking through the device manager i found that the words USB Mass Storage had a yellow triangle with an "!" inside of it. I checked the properties of the device and it said that there was a code 10. The device couldn't be used. I tried going through troubleshooting that my computer suggested. It told me to delete the hardware and re-install it. I thought that i uninstalled the device, but the next time i plugged my iPod in it returned with the same yellow error sign. The message currently says that there is no driver for the hardware. The troubleshooting option got me nowhere.

Hopefully this helps a little--Thanks for trying to help--let me know if you come up with any other solution possibilities.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I am a girl

? so? the ability to use computers has nothing to with your gender....don't sell youself short..you may know more than you think....your last post suggests that you can at least navigate through the machine to find what you need to find...which is good...

can you post a screen shot of the window that you are describing? the one where you see the little red !

to do this open up the tool that you used to get to that section and press the button on your keyboard labled "print screen" then open up word and press ctrl v ... save that document and attatch it to your next post

cjones72

cjones72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

? so? the ability to use computers has nothing to with your gender....don't sell youself short..you may know more than you think....your last post suggests that you can at least navigate through the machine to find what you need to find...which is good...

can you post a screen shot of the window that you are describing? the one where you see the little red !

to do this open up the tool that you used to get to that section and press the button on your keyboard labled "print screen" then open up word and press ctrl v ... save that document and attatch it to your next post

View Post

i understand, i am frustrated and was hoping to encourage courtly behavior in the direction of my post--which was received regardless, and i appreciate.

I went back to the device manager (with iPod plugged in, as it was yesterday when the problem occured) and the USB mass storage didn't have a problem anymore (the location where i first saw it is the first attachment).

When I tried to eject my iPod using Safely Remove Hardware, it told me that it couldn't stop G: and to try back later (second picture attached).

As of right now, it appears as though my computer itself is aware that my iPod is connected, however, when my iPod is plugged in, my computer seems to be taking forever to open windows, close out of them, etc. I thought maybe there was a bug on my iPod, and was planning on restoring it to factory settings, removing all of the software and restarting completely, But! I can't do that until itunes picks up that there is an iPod connected through USB.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...well it seems like the machine is at least picking up the ipod when it's connected...the driver problem probably is coming from the device not being disconnected properly...i'm not sure whether there is a selection within the ipod that allows you to set it to be disconnected ( i think ipods are useless...much better technology out there) try turning the power off on the ipod before attempting to eject the device