Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

printer not working

• Please log in to reply

zicodani

zicodani

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an HP 1317 all in one, and for a year it was working fine. Then, one day, the printer stoppped working, but the scanner continued to work. When I tried to print something the computer said that no printer was installed. When I tried to add a printer, I was told that RPC server is unavailable. I uninstalled the software, and then tried to reinstall it with the installation CD, but after the installation screen, the program just stopped running, and nothing happened. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try going into your services menu (under control panel > administrative tools > services) and starting the remote procedure call service

zicodani

zicodani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Many thanks for the reply. I tried that but there was no change

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: HP1317 Printer
Date: 7th Sept-2005

What is status of printer now? [Installed] – [Uninstalled] -

A – Try some basics:

01 - Left Click [START] > [SETTINGS] – Left Click [PRINTERS] folder
02 – Dose your printer show up? – or is it grayed out?
03 – Is it checked for [DEFAULT] –
04 – Right Click if it is there – pull down menu – Check/set for [DEFAULT]
05 – Verify that [USE PRINTER OFFLINE] is NOT checked
06 – Left click [PROPERTIES] – Click [PORTS] Tab – Verify that a USB Port is checked –

B – Can you print a TEST PAGE or [COPY] from printer – (not using PC) to check Printer is working?
To print a [SELF TEST] page:
1- Press & hold [CANCEL]
2- Press [START COPY,COLOR]

C – The printer is a USB Connected printer & there are several issues that could have occurred –

D – Can you recall anything that happened prior to when printer stopped? –
1- Any Updates?
2- Any Upgrades?
3- Did you move printer? USB cable can pull out very easy - and may not be connected securely –
4- Any new devises/peripherals added?
5- Any new USB devices – added to PC
6- Did you upgrade from WIN98? –

Will need to know a little more of your system:
1 – Type – Laptop – Desktop – Tower –
2 – MFG & Model
3 – Motherboard –MFG & Model
4 – OS & Service Pack
5 – IF OS is an Upgrade – from what was old OS –
6 – Motherboard USB support & chipset (to research USB support) – usually what happens is you downloaded a [WINDOWS UPDATE] & which might had an embedded driver installed –

You can download Free HOME edition of EVERSET from following Web site & find all info on PC
http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php

HP web site for HP 1317 Printer – Browse thru – there are many links – look at FAQ – Look for latest driver etc

http://h10025.www1.h...4584&rule=16002

Usually it is something simple – I ask enough questions for you to find the simple fix –
Jack123

zicodani

zicodani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Many thanks for your offer of help, it is much appreciated. My computer is a desktop:

AMD Athlon 2400
Windows XP professional operating system, without service pack 2, no upgrades have been made.
I installed sucessfully a webcam in the spring, and I don't recall using the printer since then, although I am not sure. The ink ran out, and I didn't need it in the summer.
On one occasion I cleaned up the disk to free some space. On one occasion I updated the HP software and the layout on my desktop changed. When I went into the HP director, instead of having 5 icons, I only had two, and I couldnt scan through that. However, another icon appeared which allowed me to scan. In fact, the machine has been working as a scanner, but not as a printer. The computer showed no sign of recognising that there was a printer attached (the printer didn't show up in settings). The printer seems to be working in isolation because I was able to print off the test page when I installed a new ink cartridge. After all this, I uninstalled the HP software successfully. But now I can't install it again, because the screen comes up saying "installing software", and then it just disappears and nothing happens again.
The attached report gives the detailed specifications of the information you requested. I hope this helps you to help me...many thanks agan.

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: USB Printer HP 1317 ALL IN ONE
Date: 9th SEPT-2005

Sorry for the delay – in returning POST –

I think your problem is with the VIA USB Controller Chip – Here is a quick summary on USB Host Controller Interfaces:

The [HCI] – HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE) – resides (in any or all combinations) in 3 places:
1 – Embedded in the motherboard chipset –
2 – As a separate chip/s on motherboard –
3 – On a PCI USB expansion Card –

There are 3 types of USB Host Controller Interfaces:
1- [OHCI] – Open Host Controller Interface – This is a [USB 1.X] Interface that is HARDWARE Managing – [OHCI] is found in systems that use Non Intel chipsets: (Ali – SiS – VIA) – [OHCI] are included in WIN 98/SE/Me & WIN 2000/XP -

2- [UHCI] – Universal Host Controller Interface – This is a [USB 1.X] Interface that is SOFTWARE Managing – [UHCI] was developed by Intel – And is included in WIN 98/SE/Me & WIN 2000/XP –

3- [[EHCI] – Enhanced Host Controller Interface – This is [USB 2.0] Interface – Used by all USB 2.0 Devices – Microsoft will only support [EHCI] in WIN 2000/XP OS – So as we migrate to 2.0 USB devices – The USB problems will gradually dissolve – As the [HCI] players/manufactures are becoming less –

Problem HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE:
1- ALi
2- SiS
3- VIA

There are some reported issues with some of the earlier versions of the VIA HOST CONTROLLER – these may or may not apply to your problem – The installation of the WebCam may/might have been a problem – or the HP Printer Update – or some combination of these & a WINDOWS UPDATE –

I have a few more questions about your PC:
1- When did you buy it? –
2- How many USB Ports are there? –
3- Is there a USB 2.0 PCI expansion card?
4- Is your printer USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 –
5 – What printer software did you update – USB Driver? or Firmware or Application?? –
5- Do you have any USB HUBS or other USB devices? –
6- Run EVEREST again and Expand [DEVICES] & Click on following: – Learn more of your PC
7- [WINDOW DEVICES] – Browse system –
8- [PHYSICAL DEVICES] – Browse & Look at all USB devices – functions –controllers – PnP devices
9- [PCI DEVICES] – Browse PCI Cards – Any USB Controllers –
10- [DEVICE RESOURCES] – How many & which are sharing IRQ –
11- No Service Packs installed – on PC?? –
12- Did EVEREST or DEVICE MANAGER give any version of Chipset –
13- How are you installing printer – From Printer Installation CD – OR – From Control Panel –

Most of the USB Host Controllers work fine with simple USB Devices such as printers – Keyboards – mice & external drives – But do strange things when [New Tech] VIDEO – AUDIO devices are installed – and Scanners –

Your EVEREST Report showed a PCI-USB Controller which I interpreted as a PCI Card with maybe 3 external USB Ports & 1 Internal USB Port – Your WebCam looks as if it is a USB 2.0 device –

USB 1X Host Controllers & USB Host Controllers are supposed to Co-exist but are not always tested – Usually it is the older/earlier USB device that used to function ok is the one that ceases to function whenever a newer/faster USB device is installed –

The problem stems from the concept of USB – The USB devices have [USB STANDARDS] but these Standards DID NOT DEFINE the [USB HOST CONTROLLERS] – (Which is the HEART of the USB) –

Getting the PC Manufacturers to agree on a STANDARD is like getting the United Nations to agree on a DOCTRINE – (It does not happen)

Maybe the 1st thing to try; Would be to disconnect the WebCam USB Connection - & try to install printer without webcam connected – Also you should not be required to have the printer connected when installing the printer software – This may/might remove any interaction that Host Controller may have –

Post answers back – I’ll research motherboard specs some more – then depending on your answers I’ll put a little outline plan together – It won’t be a detailed step by step procedure - I am interested in seeing which IRQ are sharing what USB Controllers & what IRQ is shared with WebCam - does printer or scanner show up – how many PCI Cards -

Some of my thoughts –

Without Service Pack 1 – You have no USB Driver support – that may be why Printer Installation is hung up – if it is looking for a driver – Depends on how you are installing ?? – Service Pack 2 (I think) has driver support for USB 2.0 – Do you have [WINDOWS UPDATES] set for [AUTOMATIC] ? – Sometimes these updates are a source for USB Host Controllers to do weird/strange things – also the printer update could have caused the USB Host Controller to be confused – May not have been able to adhere to new Driver?? – Need to review some BIOS SETTINGS or might need a BIOS UPDATE – Also you may have an IRQ sharing conflict (Even though USB is supposed to eliminate this) – some Host Controller Interfaces have not been tested for it –

I’ll check some basic items & see if we can get printer back – if not – then the easiest method would/might be to obtain a [GOOD USB 2.0 PCI CARD] that has Stable USB HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACEING – With no Issues – And not use the motherboard USB chipset – ($30 - $75) Investment –

Here are good Web sites – You might want to just Click on & STAY HERE !! - Probably fix your problem faster & more effective – instead of interfacing with me – CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN !!! I won’t mind
at all – In fact I am going to stay & SET UP CAMP & click on all 3 problem [HCI] myself – Just to see how far off I was steering you -

http://www.usbman.com/

Problem HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE:
1- USB Webcams & Digital Still Cameras http://www.usbman.co...ID=7&SID=886542
2- Printers and Scanners http://www.usbman.co...ID=8&SID=886542
3- USB v.2.0 http://www.usbman.co...ID=4&SID=886542
4- Ali http://www.usbman.co..._and_tricks.htm
5- SiS http://www.usbman.co.....nd Tricks.htm
6- VIA http://www.usbman.co... and Tricks.htm

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 10 September 2005 - 02:14 PM.

zicodani

zicodani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your continuing help. To answer a few of your questions. The computer was bought brand new 1 and a half years ago. it has service pack 1, but not service pack 2. I was a little wary of servie pack 2 because I knew a lot of people who hd problems with it. Anyway, when I try to install it I have problems because my copy of Windows XP is not an original one. I tried to install the software I downloaded frmo the HP site, with the webcam disconnected but no luck. There are 3 USB ports at the back and one at the front. The printer, which I bought one year ago, appears to be USB 2.0 compatible. In addition to this I have attached a report to address the other questions you ask, and I will also check out the sites you mentioned. many thanks again.

Attached Files

zicodani

zicodani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for your continuing help. To answer a few of your questions. The computer was bought brand new 1 and a half years ago. it has service pack 1, but not service pack 2. I was a little wary of servie pack 2 because I knew a lot of people who hd problems with it. Anyway, when I try to install it I have problems because my copy of Windows XP is not an original one. I tried to install the software I downloaded frmo the HP site, with the webcam disconnected but no luck. There are 3 USB ports at the back and one at the front. The printer, which I bought one year ago, appears to be USB 2.0 compatible. In addition to this I have attached a report to address the other questions you ask, and I will also check out the sites you mentioned. many thanks again.

View Post

I have investigated those sites you suggested. Several of them suggest removing all USB items in device manager in safe mode, and then rebooting. Would i get all of those items back on rebooting? and if I were to try this, exactly what, and in what order would I need to do it? Many thanks.