Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adding a hard drive

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I want to add a western digital raptor HDD to my gaming computer, but I have a few questions.

When I do get this hard drive in, what about windows? Will I have to format the drive for windows? will I have to save windows onto that drive? Can somebody post a link on adding one of these?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're making this drive a slave and keeping your current drive as master you won't need to install an operating system on it, you will just need to format it. So far all I've had to do when installing a new drive in XP is wait for two prompts to come up from the system tray saying a new device has been detected, a hard drive. etc., and then open My Computer, right click on the drive and choose Format. This applies to ata (atapi) drives, for sata, raid or scsi the situation will be very different and may require hardware and software. And this is all assuming that your machine has the right BIOS., which I'm sure it does.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
well the deal is, I have a maxtor 160GB EIDE HDD, But I want windows to boot off the faster WD raptor, and make the EIDE the slave. I am confused because the raptor is SATA. So I guess were going to have to do this the hard way like tyger said. What is required to make this possible?