Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which DDR SDRAM ?

• Please log in to reply

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I ran Aida32 on a friends pc to find out what type of RAM I should buy for him. He's using xp home and only has 96MB. Here's what the software said about his installed memory:

DDR SDRAM
64 bit
Real Clock 100MHZ DDR
Efective clock 200 MHZ

Looking around on-line I see DDR-2100, 2700, 3200. How do I know which to buy or does it matter?

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Is this computer a custom made or was it bought pre-built(Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway). If it is custom built, we are going to need to know the motherboard man. so that way we can search for the specs and tell you what kind of RAM you need. If bought pre-built then go to Crucial and follow the steps and it will tell you what kind of RAM it can take and how much. Hope that this helps.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The computer is custom made. Aida32 returned a: 'motherboard unknown'. I ran into a friend at Microcenter who recommended a ram chip. Can't remember the specs. I put it in and it works great. Thanks for the reply DHOOPER.....