Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with linux uninstallation

• Please log in to reply

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I recently installed Linux. IT SEVERELY SLOWED MY COMP DOWN!
How do I uninstall Linux?
THANK YOU

It aint a bad OS
Im jus gonna use it on my older comp- bc of this

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It'll even run slower on your older computer.

If you're going to put XP on the HDD just make it a slave in an XP machine and reformat the disk. If you're going to install win98 or ME on it just use a win98 boot disk to repartition and reformat it. If you try either of these and they don't work just download software from the HDD makers website to reformat it. You may need to write the drive to zeros in an extreme case. Linux can be pretty tough.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Actually, you can use FDISK /MBR from any Win98 boot disk to clear the master boot record and go back an install XP which will give you all your partioning options.

If you choose another Linux distro, just use FDISK or CFDISK (one is usually provided with every distro) and create your partitions.

If you get the Slackware distro, the first CD, when it boots, takes you to the point of being able to use FDISK or CFDISK, which is quite handy.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how did you install linux on this machine? is it a dual boot system? (i assume it is). if the only os on this system is linux, then all you have to do is install your windows version as normal. it should pick up all partitions and allow you to delete them and format the whole machine. if it's a dual boot system then you can either just format the partitions from inside disk manager and then use the fdisk utility to fix your mbr..

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I have Windows on this. I installed Linux last week. And gradually it got slower, and some programs won't run. I went onto Windows today and I could not connect to the internet, and everything runs 10x slower. HELP! I don't need how to install or what is the best distro! I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO UNINSTALL!

I have WinXP Pro not 98.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
There is no "uninstall" for Linux just as there is no "uninstall" for Windows.
If you installed Linux along with XP as a dual boot system the linux distro you installed will have modified your boot record. You can attempt to try and restor it BACK to it's original state, but I will tell you it's a mostly futile efffort.

Your best bet is to back up the stuff you cannot reinstall on Windows (documents, images, etc) and then wipe it and start fresh.

If you had Windows on there and then did a fresh Linux install it most likely removed Windows. You just need to reinstall whatever OS you plan on installing at this point.

Uninstalling a OS is a contradiction in terms.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I have a 2nd HD running. Can i put all the stuff I want to back up on there. Remove that, wipe the main HD, and restart then add 2nd HDD.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

I have a 2nd HD running. Can i put all the stuff I want to back up on there. Remove that, wipe the main HD, and restart then add 2nd HDD.

View Post

As long as the 2nd HDD is not formated with the linux filesystem (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc.). If it is Windows XP will not understand what is on it.

If the 2nd drive is NTFS or FAT32 no problems (well as long as for some odd reason your mbr is on the 2nd drive, which I seriously doubt that it is), copy the stuff over there, and re-install XP on the first drive.