Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEV

• Please log in to reply

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello, i suddenly started having this problem, i am on my computer and out of nowhere it restarts, when i turn back on i send report to microsoft and this website popsup http://support.micro...om/?kbid=293078, i know that the problem is my video card, i have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900...have ttried everything to take it off, updated driver, took off the video card, and still have the problem, i hope someone can help me, i will really appreciate it, thank you! - Oscar

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi oo0oscar0oo...Welcome to G2G!

Did you follow the work around instructions HERE? Turn the acceleration to zero. If the errors stop, gradually turn it back up to regain performance. When you get the errors again, turn it down slightly and leave it there. In most cases, the loss of performance is barely noticeable.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 September 2005 - 09:46 PM.

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes, did try that, thats how i have it set up and still shutts downm, hasnt shut down for a while now, but i wouldnt doubt that it will in any minute :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How far did you turn the acceleration down? Is it down all the way?

wannabe1

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yep, all the way and also unchecked the enable writing thingie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's try this.

Open Device Manager and navigate to your video card (under Video Adaptors)..right click on it and choose "Uninstall" and Click "Ok". Reboot your machine...You should get the "Found New Hardware Wizard" when you restart...Have it search for the best driver and reinstall itself.

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hmm, did what you told me, it searched for drivers but said it couldnt find any, and just has it listed in Device Manager as "Video Controller ( VGA Compatible)" what should i do now? i have cd to install drivers available, and updated drivers from nvidia.com too. thank you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let it run this way for a few minutes and see if your shutdown issue is gone. If your machine seems stable, go ahead and install the updated drivers only.

Post back with your results...

wannabe1

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, will leave it running the whole night today to really see if it wont shut down anymore, tomorrow i will inform you if it did or not stop shutting down, thank yoU!

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi, it still rebooted again, twice, but now i get a different message when i report to windows, it says its caused by a device driver, hers the link to it:http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=5801c6f7-0616-4051-863e-806a38b13f38&SID=10 thank you, will wait for your response

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
oo0oscar0oo...

Are you getting this error with only the Windows Default VGA drivers running video or did you install the updated drivers?

Please go to your Device Manager again...in the list, are there any yellow ! or ?...if there are, please list them to this thread.

wannabe1

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey there, under other devices, it is listed " Video Controller(VGA Compatible)"<<that is the video card. it has a question mark with exclamation mark overlapped. And i have not installed any drivers to the video card. thank you, write back

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
oo0oscar0oo...

Go to Windows Update (Start > All Programs > Windows Update) and choose the "Custom" option when you get to the update page. Let Update scan your computer for available updates, then in the left pane choose "Hardware" and download and install any updates found there. Do the same thing for the "Software" updates.

Post back with any changes (ie: the device manager thing)

wannabe1

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Was installing updates, and it rebooted, i will try to install again

oo0oscar0oo

oo0oscar0oo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok, updated and still has the exclamtion quesiton mark. remember there are no drivers installed in video card so maybe thats why it has that question. exclamation mark? :S