Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

not detecting hard disk drives

• Please log in to reply

minscandboo

minscandboo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently had a friend come over with his DVD/RW drive to copy some files from my computer to DVD. This seemed to have worked without problem at the time.
however when i put my CD drive back into my computer it struggles/will not to boot up.

Firstly it pauses for a significantly longer time at the "verifying pool DMI................." command, and following this asks for my boot disc. On putting my windows XP disc into the drive it loads various files (i assume they are files, "kernal debugger DLL" etc) and then arrives at windows XP setup screen prompting me to: "setup windows"
"restore windows"
"leave setup"

trying to either setup or restore windows leads to 'setup' saying that no hard disk drives can be detected and setup cannot continue, please sort out this problem by installing any software or updates associated. as far as i am aware my cd drive is as basic as they come, its plugnplay without any software, it's not CD/RW, it is detected by the computer at start up (accessed through pressing the delete key) and has worked perfectly for 4 years or so.

the problem seems to be irrelevant or the actual cd drive, i have now tried two C straight CD/R drives one CD/RW and the original DVD/RW drive that possibly caused the problem

On starting the computer up without any cd drive present (but still with 3 1/2" floppy) the computer works normally

I am not hugely computer literate but my guess is that something is not connected correctly somewhere? although am fairly sure that the computer is now setup up as it was prior to this occurring

initially my friend connected his dvd/rw to the spare plug on the cable going from the motherboard to the 3 1/2" floppy without paying a lot of attention to the fact the plug/socket were of different size, could this have created a conflicting hardware situation

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hello minscandboo and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Have you checked that all the cables are connected correctly?
Have you checked the jumpers on the drive?
Does the BIOS detect the hard drive?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
are your IDE cables gray with a red stripe(40 pins)?

if so, see the attachment.

if you are lucky the IDE cable is reversed and the CD drive is not damaged from the connection to the floppy drive cable. the red stripe on the IDE cable should be adjacent to the red wire on the power connector on most devices.

be sure to take electrostatic discharge precautions when working on your PC. avoid touching any open circuitry, especially on the mother board.

Attached Thumbnails

• redStripeAndJumper.jpg

Edited by bdlt, 08 September 2005 - 07:36 AM.

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I agree on both suggestions. However, check that your friend did not change any jumpers on the hard drive or on the cd drive. Most DVD+-RWs need to be connected as a Master drive to function properly. This means your friend might have switched the Hard Disk jumper to Cable Select (or Slave). The Hard Disk should be in Master and the CD in Slave, otherwise it will not detect both at the same time. You can also check that in the BIOS both drives are detected and correctly shown when they are connected together.

minscandboo

minscandboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem Fixed

Trial and error to the rescue! thank you for your help it is appreciated