Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with SP1

• Please log in to reply

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
When I try to download SP1 it says that it is having trouble connecting to the server that provides it after it checks if my OS is legal.

Also, I tried to install SP2 without SP1 first and for some reason I couldn't use the internet.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can download SP1 from the internet without using automatic update.
SP2 provides a firewall, its a possibility that it had blocked your internet access. How do you connect to the internet? directly via a cable or via network (hence through another PC on the network)?

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
About SP1, do u mean by going to the Microsoft site? I did that, and that's where the problem is, apparently.

Is there another way?

And I connect via cable. And I closed it's firewall but still no success at that time. But I do use a Microsoft Router, but even when I connected directly into the modem it still wouldn't let me connect.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
do you dial when you connect to the internet? and if you do does it detect a signal? I would recommend installing your internet connection software.

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well, I have cable internet so um, it's just there? LOL I donno, I use Rogers. I have to install a software for my ethernet card coz it's part of my mother board and did that since I installed windows.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I would recommend going through the setup of your internet from scratch.

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
You mean isntalling the drivers for my ethernet card? Well i tried that but the installation froze when it got to installing the ethernet card... hmm... LOL maybe I should have uninstalled the drivers first then installed them again.

Oh, would SP2 work properly without SP1?

And is there another way to get SP1 besides at the Microsoft website? and besides ordering a cd :tazz:

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
SP2 have SP1, so it has all the updates. You don't need to install SP1 before SP2.
right click on My Computer -> Manage then click on device manager. Tell me if you have a question mark or exclamation mark next to any device.

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
there is a question mark next to...: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controler.

that's all. Ah so if I dl SP2 I don't need SP1 first? :tazz: awsome.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
right click on it and select properties. try to update the driver

Advertisements

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
well I just went to the NVidia site and downloaded the latest NForce drivers and see how it goes. I'll msg u again after I have installed SP2 and tell u if it worked or not (it will be not if I have to roll back the installation again :tazz:)

Anyway, :) I'll give you some rest, LOL I'll msg again at about 10 pm (right now it's 5 am here) or so to tell u how it went. :) Thank you for your advice and thank u for responding so quickly, :) u guys are awsome.

Talk to you later

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
now that's the determination :) posting at 5am its nearly 11am here sorry I am in the UK. :tazz:
please feel free to send me a message if you require any assistance.
Best of luck :)

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
gah, :tazz: everything I typed went down the tube. Seems like IE can't use the internet again.

Anyway, it worked a few minutes ago and hope it works now.

MariusCarlia

MariusCarlia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
YAY... I guess it was some lag or something, anyway, what I said was that after some restarts and a system restore coz I installed a virus by accident that kept opening LimeWire when I tried to get Firefox to see if it responded to the internet IE works now.

Before it did MSN and Yahoo messengers as well as other programs taht used the internet (Like Limewire) worked, but IE didn't. What could have been the problem?

Anyway, I have SP3 now along with the rest of the stuff but the game I wanted to play still kicks me out after 2 seconds of starting it. It played fine last time before I reformated a month ago and I didn't change anything on my computer except the hdd.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
SP3? which operating system are you using?