Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless PCI adapter

• Please log in to reply

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I will be setting up a linksys router, and installing a wireless PCI adapter to a computer Ive just purchased. However I have a few questions that I havent been able to find support for:

1. Does it matter if the brand of adapter and the router are different?
2. Is there a PC Card(used with notebooks) required? I read that it was, but dont know the credibility. What all do you need for it?

Would anyone possibly have a link to information on the subject?

thank you.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's important that they use the same band, otherwise they can be pretty much anything you like. You will have to configure the router using a cable, too many security issues with using the wireless.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
things always run smoother if your using the same brand of hardware on both ends, but its not mandatory. Just make sure if your using a 802.11g router you have an 802.11g pc card, are you using windows? or something else
if your using linux or any non-microsoft os you need to make sure your card will be compatible

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Actually the router determines whether or not a pcmia wireless card will work under B or g mode.

Make sure to check if the router supports B and G, then just access the router setup through your web browser and under the basic wireless settings, set the frequency to Mixed (meaning B and G), then it doesnt matter what Pcmia card you use as long as it is a B or G.

For best performance and ease of future trouble shooting it is best to at least match brands, but as the others in here say, you do not have to.