Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why does my comp do this....

• Please log in to reply

Mad-Skillz

Mad-Skillz

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Okay awhile ago this thing kept popping up saying error....and it would freeze my comp...it would only happen every hour or so.....it didn't bother me....But now my computer just shuts up everynow and then....it's starting to get really annoying....sugggestions please!!!!

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
shuts down or restarts? what is exactly the error message?

Mad-Skillz

Mad-Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I dunno it was like error number something...don't remember the number...and it like restarts......just out of no where but sometimes it doesnt even restart right and have to keep pressing reset for it to work.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
do you hear any funny noises before it restarts? like the fan working on a high speed? clicking noise? or anything unusual

Mad-Skillz

Mad-Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yeah the fan speeds up A LOT, then it slows down though when it gets started

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
it sounds like your PC is over heating. Sometimes it does give you an error like "shutdown due to a thermal event" just to protect your PC from the heat damage.
You could try the following and see if it works, Open the cover of your machine and start it up, see if it restarts, this would allow more air to cycle through. instead of using the same hot air inside the casing.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can shut off the auto reboot. If it blue screens, write down the exact error message and post it here.
Control Panel>system>advanced> Start Up and Recovery> settings
untick "automatically restart computer".

To keep an eye on heat, use Motherboard Monitor.
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
Johanna

Mad-Skillz

Mad-Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Okay ummm my comp got so screwed up right after that message last night my comp shut off and wouldn't start back up....i thought it compleatly crashed..like i would turn it on but it would't do anything...it was messed. so i luckly got it on and just whiped out my harddrive and reformated everything so now it works but when i turn it on.....it still does it it like goes to a compleatly black screen with a little blinking underscore thing in the top left....im supprised my comps still messed after reformating.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Did you follow Samiko's advice in post #6? Hardware issues, like heat, are unaffected by the reinstallation of Windows.

Johanna

Mad-Skillz

Mad-Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Did you follow Samiko's advice in post #6?  Hardware issues, like heat, are unaffected by the reinstallation of Windows.

Johanna

View Post

I did that before he even posted that, it's not that.....it's off right now...It will go like 15 minutes and then make like a jamming sound and reset.

Mad-Skillz

Mad-Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Kay now it's getting all screwy again like it will shut off......and i will have to keep turning it on and off on and off on and off and finally i'll get lucky and it will start.....this [bleep] is so annoying....I think it might be something to do with inside the machine....because i reformated....but what could be causing it not to start all the time and to just shut off out of nowhere?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
What type of graphic's card do you have?

Have you updated the drivers?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
You have a device failing on your machine.
I can't tell what it is because i don't have much information.
It could be anything, CPU, PSU, etc.