Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Gunk

• Please log in to reply

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
About 2-3 years ago, my computer had came to a full drag. The system was clean, no viruses, nothing, but for some reason running ANY game and almost any application(windows media player) was too much stress on the chip. I didnt undersand it. Finally,(dont know why it took me so long to call)like a year later, I decide to call and have a tech sent out. It turns out my CPU heatsink/fan had fallen off. So I was working this P4 1.8GHZ for a few years, running high end apps(just at an unbearable slow pace), and after the tech had cleaned this white gunky substance off the chip, and installed the heatsink/fan, it was running as if it were just bought.

Well, for the past few weeks my computer started its old habits. Couldnt run anything high end. Once again Im baffled, because this time the heatsink is in place. So I remove it, and there it was, that infamous white gunk! I scraped it all off, and once again, the computer acted brand new.

Is it heat residue? Whats causing it;Am I pushing my chip past its potential?

Thanks.

Edited by Jackler, 08 September 2005 - 02:59 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats the thermal interface it conducts heat from the cpu to the HSF by running without you are creating a mini oven for your cpu, you should apply new thermal material.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
That white gunk is known as thermal compound (aka thermal grease, heat compund, heat grease and several other alais's). It is used to improve heat conductivity between the cpu and the heatsink, just like the gell they put on a womens stomache when she gets an ultrasound.

Or in lay terms

It helps keep your cpu cool by passing heat from the cpu to the heat sink.

You NEED to put some more thermal compound between your CPU and your heat sink, if you dont, you may damage your computer. As for it running slow, well get it cooled first, and then maybe some more ram, what apps you running?

Dave

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I dont think its thermal paste unless it spontaneously generates. When the tech. came out here he had removed the gunk, but didnt apply more. And when I wiped off the gunk, it was working like brand new again. Ive 512 MB RAM, and the computers on 24/7 due to constant activity, and I run photo/video editing software, internet, gaming applications, and various things.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
....hmmm.....you havnt left a milky bar in there or something have?

seriously though...have you got a digicam to send us a pic of the gunk? and is the gunk quite runny (viscous) or thick/dry/syrupy (...non...viscous)? does it smell or anything?

Im cluching at straws here, im 90% certain its some form of heat compound.

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Its somewhat thick, scraped it off with the edge of a credit card.

I still dont understand why, if it was thermal paste, it would kill my CPU speed. Because as soon as the gunk was off, it was brand new again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That sounds very unusual, if it works i would leave it, look in bios and find out what your temeratures are like.

I would get some arctic silver 5 and put that on after cleaning the cpu with a cotton bud and some alcohol.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like someone applied too much and you removed the excess. There should only be enough to fill the gap between the cooler and the cpu, about 1/100 of an inch.

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Its been working fine for about 6 months, and thats when it started up again, and thats when the gunk came back. Its really odd..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
hmm unless it was a ceramic paste you should have removed all the paste, again check the temps.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
When you purchase Arctic Silver, make sure you read your labels - it's often mimicked. Also, when you apply it, do it clockwise, anti-clockwise, horizontally and finally vertically. You do not want any excess.

A picture of the stuff on your hardware would help.

ea6b607

ea6b607

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
ive been lucking round "google" and the only thing i could find that looks like that is thermal paste ive read other stories though that some time s the nameless brand stuff actually prevents heat transfer i think i would go with the previous post and get some artic silver also do you have any clips to hold your heatsink on because your said it fell off just curious

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Whatever the gunk was, it was preventing the heat from escaping. And yes, the fans clipped, but some time ago I think I mayve been moving it or someone else may have, and it hit the floor. Only a few feet off the ground, but probably enough to knock it off.

ea6b607

ea6b607

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
k well either way its working now just chk your heat levels if there ok i would just leave it be