Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 9800 Pro

• Please log in to reply

Simmy

Simmy

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I recently purchased a Radeon 9800 Pro the one with the exhaust fan to replace and oldish GeForce card I had and it isn't performing as I expected. In fact the GeForce performed better. When I play Tiger Woods the screen jerks whereas it didn't with the GeForce. The GeForce was a GeForce 2 I think with 32mb of mem and this has 128mb ddr. I have the latest driver for it but it is not performing. It is now harder to take shots and the gaming is affacted as it jerks.

Any ideas?

Cheers :tazz:

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
(edited)

Edited by RockyIV, 08 September 2005 - 05:04 AM.

Syke

Syke

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
could it be a monitor problem or loose wire? also did u have a Antistatic Wrist Strap on while changing the card if not it may be damaged hardware happened to me with a graphics card also

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanx for that.

I did wear an anti stactic strap as I always do when workin inside the tower.
As for the monitor, it is a 15" tft one. Cant see it being that as it wasn't jerkin with the old card and it was same monitor. I dont think there is any loose wires, I will have a look tonight.

Thanx again

Simmy.

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Simmy,

Please review the following:

1. Post the exact model of your Radeon and your old Geforce. Just having more memory does not necessarily mean it will run faster (however, it's likely that you bought a better card).

2. Go here and download the latest version of Driver Cleaner. Read the instructions and clean your old drivers.

3. Do a fresh install of the latest Catalyst drivers (5.8 as of today) here . Be sure to download the drivers that correspond to your operating system.

4. Run DXDIAG by going to Start/Run and typing dxdiag at the dialog box. Run all the tests and verify that your system is DirectX compliant (check for any errors that are outputted during the tests - perform all tests, not only video ones!)

5. Some games are optimized for nVidia and some others for ATI. Verify with other games to see if they are running faster than before. Also, post what games are you playing to see if there is an edge with your particular cards.

6. Lastly, be sure to download the latest patches for your games. It is very common that a game has performance increases and bug fixes by installing the latest patch.

Edited by biyectivo, 08 September 2005 - 08:59 AM.

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
biyectivo,

Thank you very much for the reply!
My GeForce was a GeForce2 GTS 32MB DDR

My Radeon is: HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X700 Pro ICEQII 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (RX700P-AGP128ICEQ) (GX-040-HT)

Not a 9800 Pro as I first thought!

I will try the suggestions tonight when i get home from work.
Thanks again

:tazz:

Simmy

Simmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
biyectivo,

I have done all what you suggested and everything now seems fine :)

Thank you very much for the advice it is very much appreciated.

:tazz: :) :)

Simmy