Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstalling Win XP

• Please log in to reply

tomatojay

tomatojay

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok, I have a HP xt921 desktop here. It was loaded with viruses and spyware, to the point were nothing would work but a restore. There were so many system files corupt or missing it wasn't worth trying to fix. I have the original restore CD, but when I try get to the Install, repair, quit screen, I press enter to install. It starts to load some stuff, but then says it can't find the End-User License Agreement, Press f3 to quit.

I would prefer to not have to goto the recovery console and try and repair files. I'm not even sure of all the files missing. Any help would be nice.

Thanks
Jason

Advertisements

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Anyone have any ideas?

I am a Computer Technician, but I've never run into a OS not being able to find the EULA. After doing some search on micosoft's site the only thing they had was the hard drive might not have been formated in ntsc. They say it was probably formated to FAT32 by a different OS. But that doesn't make much sence seeing as how Win XP was native on the computer to start with. I'm going to try a reformat with ERD Commander and then try again. But if anyone has any other ideas I'd like to hear them.

Thanks again.

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
ok well that didn't work. I just wipe the HD and tried the Recovery CD again... still can't find the EULA. it must be a bad CD. :tazz: I'm sure I could reburn the CD with the missing EULA, but I'm not sure where to find the file.

Any help? I havne't gotten any yet. I'm starting to think this isn't the site for me. I think the stuff I need is a little more advanced then "my hotkeys won't work". I'm not putting anyone down by any means, but I'm just not sure the help I can get from here. :\

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ah....there we go....you formatted the hard drive then used your recovery cd? did you completely wipe the drive? removed all partitions?

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i had to. the only partition © was to corupt to repair. I was having the problem of not being able to find the EULA before i wiped the drive though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well....if you were using a recovery cd...the eula was probably somewhere on the machine....usually there is a "hidden" partition that contains all the info to allow a recovery cd to work...being that it isn't a full os cd...it's possible that that portion of the drive was corrupted (hence the not finding the eula) but now that the whole drive was formatted i'm pretty sure that that partition would be gone now

tomatojay

tomatojay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well it's possible that there was anothing partition. and if there was it was totally corrupt, because when I loaded ERD commander 2005 it only found the C drive, it couldn't tell the size of it, and it couldn't link itself to an OS. meaning the drive HD was too messed up in the first place.

Edited by tomatojay, 08 September 2005 - 11:35 AM.