Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I add more memory?

• Please log in to reply

joseph92154

joseph92154

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a older version computer and I want to add more memory in it. But I do have a problem and that is that the computer wont even let me go to a program, when I finally am able to get on. Am i going to have to take it to a computer professional or is my computer done with? But how would I put more memory on my computer, if eventually my computer is fixed? Is it a process that I can eqasily do?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you boot the PC

joseph92154

joseph92154

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well it boots up normally and allows me to log on normally, but then when I finally want to go to a program, it just freezes and reboots all over again. But I havent used this computer in a long time, would that have anything to do with it?

What happens when you boot the PC

View Post

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If any of these give a problem move on to the next one, though you should be able to run them all eventually

After this, you could check your video adapter drivers

Download Everest Home here

http://www.lavalys.h...p?pid=1&lang=en

Run it then click + next to computer then summary, look on right at display / video adapter

Click + next to computer then sensor to check the temperature