Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acrobat Reader 7.0 Print Problem

• Please log in to reply

jpm3

jpm3

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Can anyone shed some light on this critical problem -- there is very little and sketchy info out there, although it should be affecting a lot more people...

Environment:
Adobe Reader 7.0 with updates 1, 2 and 3
Win XP Pro, SP2
Outlook 2000
Epson Stylus Photo 820 local printer

Account statements emailed as PDF's by financial institutions are no longer printing correctly. They printed fine with Reader 6.0. Now they are sometimes filled with exclamation points and blank pages. It can happen mid-print or sometimes not at all. Our accountant is frantic and doesn't have time for this.

The solutions I've found so far are not workable:
"Print as image" - we want to hit the print icon and have it come out right.
"Print directly to computer" (instead of spooling) - forces the user to wait.

Could this be a font problem? Epson has no driver updates since 2002, they say if it's only PDF's then it's Adobe's problem.

Any guesses as to a solution are anxiously awaited! I'm tired of nearly every software update causing more problems than the update is worth.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it sounds supiciously like a printer issue. being old I wouldn't expect them to do much about it. Not until they have lots or reports on it. have you tried printing these pdf's on a different printer?

you could uninstall reader v7 and go back to 6.

jpm3

jpm3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, the pdf's print ok on an HP4050 (network printer) and on my trusty Lexmark.

I'll try going back to 6.0 but I've read reports that the problems from 7.0 may linger even after being uninstalled. Will let you know ...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get 6 here

http://www.oldversio...m.php?n=acrobat

jpm3

jpm3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I uninstalled Acrobat Reader 7.0 and went back to 6.01 (available at the link above). This fixed our printing problems.

I tried to warn Adobe that version 7 was causing tremendous problems when used to print the financial pdf's sent by banks and brokerages (like leaving out the number "7" and using asian fonts). Their response was laughable:

"Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Service.

Thank you for your suggested improvements for Adobe® Acrobat. Although
we are always working on new versions of our software applications, a
date has not yet been established to accommodate your request. We
appreciate your suggestion and will take your request into consideration
for a future release of [insert product].

If you have further product suggestions, please visit the Adobe Web site"