Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite 1715XCDS

• Please log in to reply

cratkows

cratkows

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Tosh Satellite 1715XCDS - PS171U-11K93H.

It will not power on. Indicator LED shows no DC adapter connection, but the adapter measures correct voltage.

I took most of it apart, and can see a fried component near the DC-in jack. I think it says "PD5" after scraping the brown residue off.

I have looked far and wide on the net but cannot find any schematic type material available. (I have seen some "field replaceable" documents, but nothing more detailed.)

Is there any resource ANYWHERE that might give me a clue as to what the fried component was? (I'm guessing a power diode, but what size etc., and which end is the cathode? -- It's quite burned.)

Thanks for any advice.

Chris
[email protected]

Advertisements

FreeThinker

FreeThinker

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi
If the component you are looking at is part of the power regulator for the ac adaptor you may still be able to boot from battery.If it does not the battery may be flat and cannot charge because the power regulator is shot.If you do locate the item it may not get you very far as it is probably burnt out due to some other problem.The only other thing I could think of is heat, is the power conector on the mobo ok? A bad connection here could cause local over heating of the mother board making it look like a failed component (or it may indeed be fried for the same reason).As to PD5 could it be power diode #5? are there 4 similar looking devices on the board?
Keith

cratkows

cratkows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All good thinking. The battery IS flat, so no luck there.

The device looks to be the only one. Since it's DC coming in, there may not be 3 others since there wouldn't have to be a bridge?

Anyway this is the only device of this size, and it is right near the power in jack (which appears to be fine). I am thinking "power diode" too, maybe a blocking diode. But the component case is so mutilated I would have to guess at the cathode side.

I am also wondering what might have caused so much current, and maybe there is a lot more wrong. That's why I'm hesitant to put it in to a repair shop only to find out it needs a whole new system board anyway, and then it may not be worth the repair cost. As I understand it most places don't fix at the component level anyway; apparently cheaper to replace at board level.

I'm getting nowhere fast with any information anyway, so I may just tack in a large diode (I can make an educated guess at the cathode side) and see if ANYTHING (like a led indicator showing the adapter plugged in) is different after that.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You won't be able to find an old fashined "schematic" as such but I did see reference to a "service and repair manual", but it wasn't downloadable, it's in CD-ROM format and could be bought for a nominal amount any number of places.

On older machines like this you can often get mothrboards quite cheaply. If it is a "power diode" it mgiht be easy enough for a skilled tech to replace. Does the plug in the wall supply produce AC output? That would suggest a diode, if it has two wires, of course!

cratkows

cratkows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The adapter is Ac to DC.

I've had a cursory look on the net (with not much luck) -- do you know where I might find an inexpensive system board for this old a laptop?

E-bay had one for bidding ($59) which is fine, but also may be non-working.

Another source had one for about $350; that would be time to investigate a new laptop -- or at least an "upgrade" that might be compatible.

Other than that, I did not find an inexpensive source.

Thanks for your reply.

Chris