Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can only Boot into Safe Mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

I just started treating her system for VUNDO and she couldn't get anywhere in Safe Mode. Then gave her the XP Sys Config method to reach Safe Mode, now that is all she is able to boot to.

Would appreciate it if someone would take the time to get her up and running again.

Thanks

Trevuren

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Trevuren...

Have her boot just like she's going to Safe Mode, BUT choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. At the prompt (if she gets one), have her type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) "Enter". This will want to run on boot-up...type Y and press "Enter" When the check is complete, it should restart normally (under normal conditions, of course) Let me know how you make out...

If you get no prompt, have her try THIS.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 September 2005 - 05:09 PM.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Sorry wanabe1, still no response from victim. I quoted your reply to me and gave you credit for the suggestion

[COLOR=green]Trevuren[/COLOR]

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Trevuren...

Sorry wanabe1, still no response from victim.

Does this mean the "victim" hasn't posted back or the system didn't repond to the command?

Also have them try the procedure below...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

While I've got you here, would you mind taking a quick look at This Log? I have since removed the Symantec apps, but would like to know if there is anything that might prevent me from finishing up the repair so I can hand her off to you folks. This was a dead machine when I started...Wunderbox

wannabe1

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
1. No, it meant that the victim has not replied.

2. The log contains a small bit of malware.

3. If you have removed Symantec (Yeah!!!), please have install AVG7 Free before coming over. Have her /him install it/update it and run it. We don't want her to be full of bugs again.

Regards,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Victim's thread has been closed due to Inactivity

Trevuren