Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Duplicate files after System Restore Failure

• Please log in to reply

neever

neever

• Pip
  • 6 posts
After attemting to do a System Restore on an XP machine, I now get duplicate files all over. The System Restore failed and now I have MANY files listed like this, Mozilla Firefox(2) or Net Waiting (2). How can I fix this and/or prevent it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi neever...Welcome to G2G!

Go back to your System Restore just as if you were going to do a fresh Restore. Look for a checkbox or link to "Undo last system restore" (or similar wording) and follow the prompts. Once this is complete, do the system restore again choosing a different restore point.

Let me know how you make out...

wannabe1

neever

neever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Initially, the System Restore failed so no matter what restore point I chose, I got an error stating I could not restore and no changes were made to my computer. Except, now I have multiple files listed as (2), (3), etc. So, what I'm saying is I can't "undo last system restore" since it was never restored in the first place.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
neever...

May I ask why you were doing the System Restore in the first place? This may have some bearing on why the Restore is failing AND on how we proceed in trying to make things right again....

wannabe1

neever

neever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm sorry, I can't remember. My guess is I was having problems installing ZoneAlarm's new update and I couldn't get it to run and couldn't role back to the previous version. So, I tried SR.
Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried uninstalling Zone Alarm? What Antivirus software are you running? You may have to disable the AV before system restore will run properly. Note...If you uninstall your firewall and disable the AV...physically unplug your machine from the internet until you at least have the AV turned back on! It takes only seconds to be infected these days.

wannabe1

neever

neever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Now I remember, my Eudora Inbox got corrupted and I tried to do a system restore. And that's when the duplicate entries were made. FYI, I got Zone Alarm working again.

neever

neever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I found a virus in a system restore file. Now, the question is how do I delete such files? For example, how do I keep display.ini and delete display.ini(2) without having to do it manually? Anybody know? Thanks for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
neever...

Pretty tough to delete anything in a system restore file...manually or otherwise (as far as I know). If your system is in good shape other than that, you can turn System Restore off and then back on...that will delete all system restore points (files)...you can then set a new restore point an move ahead from there. Note...if you think you may need to restore your system and want to keep your important files...you do not want to do this.

Hint...it's never a bad idea to back up your important files onto a different media...now would be a good time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
neever...

You might try to REPAIR your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 04:57 PM.

neever

neever

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did a Windows Repair and the problem still remains. Does anyone know of a program that can scan for such things?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Sorry about your corrupt inbox, but SR was not intended to fix data files, only protected Windows files. It sounds like you have duplicate shortcuts? Just delete them.

Johanna

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
neever...

Easy Cleaner will remove duplicate files...I'm not sure about shortcuts. Read ALL of the instructions before you use this tool, it IS capable of removing files you need to run Windows and other programs.

wannabe1