Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Rename my Computer Win XP

• Please log in to reply

Kimba

Kimba

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,
I would like to rename my computer. When it was built it was not named Kim and I want it to be named Kim. How do I go about this? Thanks so much.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then right click my computer, click properties, computer name then change

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
<delete>

Edited by Tony_1983, 05 September 2005 - 09:02 PM.

Kimba

Kimba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
This area is named properly. It is a windows system file that is not named properly and I do not know how to fix that.

Kimba

Kimba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi...when my friend did the 1st installation of my operating system window XP, he had named my computer under his name. I wish to change from his name to my name, how can I go around doing that. I have tried going to the properties of "MY COMPUTER" but it does not work. I have gone to the C drive and so far all the things that I have done does not seems to be able to change the name. Can some one be kind enough to assist, thank you. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy Kimba..

I merged your two topics as they are one in the same !!

Please do not start another thread on the same problem.. Simply continue it here..

As for changing the Computer Name now, you will probably have to do a Repair Install and change the name that way!!

Murray

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is this for changing the name but not sure what the effect on a system file will be

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310441

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Kimba:

Try Keith's suggestion first.. alot faster and if it doesn't work, you could try the re-install then..

Murray