Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden Error Messages on old photo files

• Please log in to reply

CoburgKid

CoburgKid

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. For the past few weeks, I cannot open/access certain photo files and/or photo folders. When I double click on those particular files/photos/folders, I get an error message by DrWatson Postmorten Debugger and the entire software (any one of a number of viewers I try to open the files with -- Explore, ACDSee, Windows Photo and Fax Viewer, Paint, even in SAFE Mode) shuts down and I am left looking at my desktop. When I begin over again to access the file, it happens again (every single time I try). I don't know what the problem could be. These are photos that I have had on my hard drive for a while, and I had no problems viewing them before. They seem to all be in the same general "area" in my "Photo" folder (nearby each other on the selection list), although truthfully there could be more folders with problems that I have yet to discover. I run Norton every 2 -3 days (full system scans), I defrag once a week (and actually just did that now), I ran a disk cleanup, and I very very rarely download anything on to my computer. I would like to help you by giving you a "list" as I see many of your inquiries give, but I have no idea what that list (of files is) or how to access it to give to you. I appreciate all the help you can give me. Thank you. CoburgKid p.s. All my photos are jpeg only. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Irfanview

http://fileforum.bet...c...5D=2&os[]=3

Get the plug ins as well

Open Irfanview then open one of the pictures, you may get error and the option to rename the picture, click OK then use file then save as

Irfanview has a batch renaming option

CoburgKid

CoburgKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Keith. I am very wary about downloading anything on to my computer. Before I download this viewer (which you suggest), can you tell me what would make this option more viable than all the others I am using, including Explore and My Computer/Safe Mode? I was on the phone with MicroSoft "India" and the tech told me that the small area on my hard drive must be damaged. (All of a sudden??) Since that made no sense to me, and since I managed to open one of the folders partially on one or two tries (out of the dozens of attempts), I decided to try your "help" site. Can you please tell me why this viewer which you recommend may work different than all the others I have and use (and which were successful up until about a week or so ago)? Thank you. Susanne p.s. If you're in the UK, isn't it wayyyy past your bedtime there by now? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has opened files other programmes would not, it is a respected application, if you are not in any hurry, please start a new topic in the applications forum asking for comments about Irfanview

It has its own uninstaller is 6MB including the plug ins and works fine

You can look at the homepage here

http://www.irfanview.com

CoburgKid

CoburgKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, Keith, will you marry me????????? JK lol It worked! What a dream...I have spent literally ALL DAY trying to get those precious photos to work. How amazing. I am SO GLAD that I found this site. And THANK YOU most of all. Incredible...just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tazz: :) :) :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know