Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 Product Key

• Please log in to reply

broken98

broken98

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
What can be done about starting up windows 98 for the first time after doing a complete restore and you don't have the product key it's asking for? :tazz:

Advertisements

brodie9977

brodie9977

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem on my kids' machine...can anyone help out?
I've tried to put the Windows 98 CD in my XP machine, and went to Start..Run..Regedit...but that code doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? I'm rather new to this, so hope my response/questions make sense! thx.

broken98

broken98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I went on-line with another computer and started doing searches for
"98 product keys" and started writing the ones I found down on paper.
One site had a bunch and there was one that had Sony next to it which
is the kind of computer I was needing the key for. I don't remember the site
but it did work. Later on I was able to locate my misplaced disc with the
product key on it. My number was [removed]
This might not work for your machine but good luck with it.

Edited by admin, 10 February 2005 - 09:21 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Posting of CD keys is illegal, and not allowed on this forum.

Hitman666

Hitman666

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
my brother gave me his old computer which he's had for a while. I got a disk from him which came with the computer which deletes everything and makes it like it was when it was first bought. The cd was called "Quick Restore". It cleared everthing as it was supposed to, but when it starts to re-install windows it asks for a "product key" which I or my brother does not have. What do I do? Someone please help!!!!!!!!!

the computer is a compaq presario, just incase you need to know.

Sorry if this has been answered before.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's on the back of the Getting Started with Windows98 booklet, if he still has it. But it is/was in the computers registry. You can get in in safe mode by holding down the F8 key during boot up and choosing safe mode. Then go Start>Run, type in regedit and hit OK. Expand H-Key Local Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows and left click CurVer, Current Version and look on the right panel. You can also use the Find function to look for files and documents containing the word, use the exact form here, ProductKey.

In later models it is on the case of the machine.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Tyger: They have wiped the drive already.. There is nothing to find anymore as there is no operating system on the computer.. Read the post a little closer..

Hitman:: Without the key code you are dead in the water and no one will help you pirate a key code to use.. If you can't find the original install key then you are forced to purchase and entirely new Win98 install cd and code!! Sorry but that's the way it is!!

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Howdy:

Tyger: They have wiped the drive already..  There is nothing to find anymore as there is no operating system on the computer..  Read the post a little closer..

Murray

View Post

Yes, in all likelyhood he's wiped the drive, but the next person that sees the post may not have.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft will replace the product key

• Replacement of CD or Product Keys

To replace a CD or Product Key, you must contact PSS. To locate the appropriate phone number for your product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.micro...;EN-US;CNTACTMS

Edited by Keith, 22 July 2005 - 11:13 PM.

Hitman666

Hitman666

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks anyways guys. I found a way to get it on another web site and am glad to say my windows 98 is up and running now.

Advertisements

YourHero

YourHero

• Pip
  • 6 posts
DO TELL...IM IN THE SAME EXACT PREDICAMENT...Im sittin here looking at my screen asking me for my product code...and Im sitting here looking at all my windows Jewel cases...of ALL my windows products, the only Key missing is my windows98se....and YES, it's a legal copy, lol.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should get it direct from Microsoft as any other one could be switched off by Microsoft at some point, leaving you unable to update it.

http://support.micro...;EN-US;CNTACTMS

YourHero

YourHero

• Pip
  • 6 posts
You might be right, I just didnt wanna have to pay because I have the CD sitting right infront of me and it's annoying me that I can no longer find the COA that came with it, when I have everything else...

Stupid Virtual Bouncer and Ad Destroyer killed my computer, and I couldnt get online anymore, I wish I wouldve found this site sooner!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft are only interested in whether you can prove you bought the disc you need the product key for or the disc replacing. You should not have to pay for the replacement product key.

I cleaned an Office 2000 disc, snapped it, called Microsoft who would have replaced it free but they had stopped supplying it so they gave me a set of Office XP Pro discs for 30 USD

YourHero

YourHero

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh well since you put it that way! LoL, I messaged Hitman, hopefully he'll respond, if not I'm gonna go your way with it! Thanks bro..I love this place, you guys are SMART...I thought I was good but whoa!