Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VPN connection causes internet to drop

• Please log in to reply

codecraig

codecraig

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,
First, I am running Windows XP Pro.

I have setup a VPN connection using the "Network Setup Wizard". When I connect to this VPN connection I acquire an ip address and all seems to be ok...however, once I am connected to the VPN connection I can no longer ping google.com or browse the internet and my IM clients disconnect.

When I run ipconfig, I see something like...

IP: 1.2.3.4
Subnet: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 1.2.3.4

I tried disabling my Sygate Personal Firewall, I don't use windows built-in firewall, I even disabled the firewall on the VPN connection itself. Any idea what might be going on?

Again, I am able to connect to the VPN connection and acquire an IP...that's it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
anyone?

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
when you say connect to VPN what VPN do you mean sorry just if you could explain the situation a little more it would help
are you on your home computer trying to connect to your work network??

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes i am at home trying to connect to work.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
whole lot of info on VPNs below...............

http://compnetworkin...pnwindowsxp.htm

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Some Companies use specific VPN client software to connect. If you are trying to set up a connection yourself you will need specific information from your Corporate IT department: VPN remote server IP address, login id ( some companies use different ids for VPN access) also any other settings that are specific to your company.... if you have a coporate helpd desk you may want to call them on monday!!

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Using the Network setup wizard to create a VPN connection is only going to create 1 dedicated connection to the VPN server, you need to use a VPN client software such as SonicWall, Nortell, Cisco....this will run ontop of your existing internet connection and connect you to the VPN server.

Also are you using dialup? or broadband?

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
when i try to use SonicWall it prompts me for a pre-shared key...which I don't know anything about, I'll check with the admin on monday about it. What's weird is that the microsoft VPN connection does not ask for a key...just wants my username/password.

BTW, I am using broadband.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Yeah talking to your IT Staff is the best option. Connecting to a corporate VPN remote access server requires specific settings that are set up on the corporate servers.

tell them the problems you are having, depending on how they have it set up you might need to log out of the VPN in order to use other internet apps. On the other hand they may have proxy settings that will allow general web access.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yea, thanks. I have connected to it in the past, but it seems that they have changed things since then.

Thanks.