Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ewido closed during registry scan

• Please log in to reply

boosnap

boosnap

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am a computer technician working on a client's malware problem and I'm running into an unknown situation I could use a little assistance with. I've run Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Norton AV, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, and ewido with much success. I will have to say, it's running a LOT better than it was when I started on it. Problem is ewido will not run in the Complete System Scan or Registry Scan modes. It will scan memory and the c: drive with no problems. It will begin a complete or registry scan but the window will close after running for about 5 seconds. I have uninstalled and re-installed ewido and get the same results. There is nothing in the event viewer regarding this shutdown. Also, it only kills the window and the active scan, the systray icon for ewido stays. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone know of any other tools that can perform similar functions?
Thanks,
Mark

Advertisements

boosnap

boosnap

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I found it.... it was a registry entry that had too many sub-keys. sounds like it was put there for exactly this purpose.
Here it is if anyone wants to know the key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FF50A5D1-627C-F3FD-84A6-9BF65E699D6C}

I deleted the key and ewido was able to complete a scan now

And all it took was a diligent mouse click on the pause button with some badass timing :tazz: