Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP & .WMV Files & Locked PC

• Please log in to reply

blue_gryphon

blue_gryphon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC locks up whenever I try to play a .wmv file using Window Media Player. It does fine with all the others. I'm running Win2K so WMP 10 doesn't seem to be available. So, I reinstalled 9, and still no luck... I've downloaded the fixes and all that, but still not able to play .wmv's... any suggestions?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
did you download the codec package for windows media player 9? It's on the windows update sight in the same spot you downloaded wmp 9 from.

blue_gryphon

blue_gryphon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I hadn't but I did... it seem to help somewhat... at least it doesn't lock up my pc anymore. It just stalls WMP on some of the files. However it will still lock my pc if I'm trying to view video from an online source.

Does XP have as many problems with WMP?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
blue_gryphon...

A couple of things to look at are...how much RAM do you have... and how fast is your internet connection?

I use WMP 10 with XP Home...1.5 gigs of ram and a 1MBps broadband connection. None of the problems you describe with this setup. However, on my Win98 machine...256MB ram...WMP9...same broadband, I have many of the same issues especially with streaming......

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 September 2005 - 02:44 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something you might want to try, downloading one of the files that causes problems and see if it is a DRM protected copy. You might have a hang up at the downloading of the license process.