Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to tell if cpu is bad?

• Please log in to reply

computermaker

computermaker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
well my processor was working fine into i tried to replace my heatsink and fan and i sliped and scratch the motherboard so i decied to power on the computer for a few seconds and the screen would stay blank i didn have my hsf on the processer so since i got the blank screen i knew i messed up my mobo so i bought a new one and today i put my processor in it and turned it on and i got a bblank screen :\
now theres no beeps from the speaker case and i dunno if the speaker works anyways but how can i tell if my processor is no good? theres no burnt smell when i power it on our traces of burnt our broken pins any help?

Advertisements

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I would ask if your hard drive spins and your fans spin as well. If they do not, it could be a sign since your not getting anything on the monitor as well.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
the hard drive spins and so does the cpu fan

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah, that sounds like a bad CPU. Cracked out an old dusty book, I thought I never use again just to double check myself. Could goto your manufacturer of the BIOS and see if their is an update...only if you really want to. Since probably know that if the upgrade freezes..well, just about anything goes wrong time to swap boards. ...I would say bad CPU though, try the upgrade if you have been using the processor for a couple of months, then could be BIOS...

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
well i got the processor last week and it worked fine i cant update no bios cause my screen wont go on i had to send the board the processor worked in back cause i scratched it so i dunno i got a new mobo today and screen is blank :\ so maybe ill go to compusa tomorrow see if they will test my processor

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It is more than likely your CPU, I can't remember how but supposed to be a way to update the BIOS even if with a blank screen. But, since you have had it only a week, would suspect the cpu at being faulty.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
can a bad psu cause this problem also? because before i scrathced my mobo it was doing what the new mobo is doing now for a couple of times then finaly it decied to boot and the mobo i scracthed had a vcore spot from the psu connector now my new mobo doesnt have this vcore connecter its just running off the 20 pin atx is that why the computer isnt booting? not enough power to the cpu?

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Before jumping to conclude anything you should check your BIOS Beep Codes. Listen to the beeps the computer makes (be sure your speaker is connected) and verify what code gives you. You can head to Bios Central and verify the specific BIOS beep codes for your BIOS manufacturer. There are certain codes that detect bad/badly seated/damaged CPUs. If there are no beeps please post the results here.