Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restore Problems With Virus

• Please log in to reply

JesseGast

JesseGast

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i am backing up my file holding harddrive because i need to wipe it then restore my
music and proggys. During the sonic backup to dvd, i saw that there were system restore files and folders being backed up. 2 dvd's total. I am wiping the drive because i can't partition it because i keep getting an error that the index is corrupt... i have repaired it with Partition table doctor, and tried to repartition but to no avail. So i am backing up to dvd with Sonic backup my pc that comes with easy media creator 7.5.
But i don't want to restore the system restore files and the virus and problems which I have seen during the progress.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi JesseGast,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

This sounds like Malware on your computer.

Please Click here and follow the instructions carefully.

JesseGast

JesseGast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a clean install of xp media center... just my second drive had the system reestore files from 2 or 3 windows installs before and they had the adware in it... i am asking if there is a way that i can choose to not recover those files from the dvd's when i get to restore the drive after i wipe it. i plan to wipe, repartition and then restore the files i backed up to dvd... i just don't want the restore files which i can't evem find when i have show hidden and system files checked.. :tazz: thanks again

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Have you tried clearing the currect things that are in the system restore?

If not do this:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup

then once that has loaded click on:

More Options

Under System restore, click on Clean Up then click yes

JesseGast

JesseGast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
what happened was when i merged partitions, it slipped the system folder data to the partiton... i was able to unselect the files that i didn't want to restore with the restore program by sonic... thanks for your time

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you shut off System Restore you will lose all the old restore points. It is a good idea to delete all when cleaning up from a malware infection to be sure that the malware isn't hiding and cannot be restored.

Johanna