Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Format HDD Dell 2100

• Please log in to reply

groovemaster1

groovemaster1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I' ve had my dell 2100 for 4 years now, and it's probably filled with spyware.......So I need a little detailed info on how to format it
Dell Dimension 2100 900MHz
128MB SDRAM
Geforce4MX440 PCI
SB 64V
Modem
LG CDRW
20GB HDD Maxtor

I don't have a recovery CD (Didn't get one). Is the ME CD I have a full version, it's an original dell Windows ME CD. I also have a Dell XP home CD but wouldn't use XP because I can't find XP drivers for the SB 64v

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your DELL Windows Me CD, if it doesn't say "recovery" on it, is probably a full version but one that's been "doctored" by DELL to stop it from being installed on a non-Dell PC. You are right not to put XP on your PC at this time because 128MB RAM is not nearly enough to run it smoothly. 256MB is a minimum, and 512MB is the really best compromise between cost and performance. But doubling your RAM would not cost the earth, neither would a new xp compatible graphics card. For Win Me, you format the disk by booting from an Me floppy startup disk and typing FORMAT C: when the DOS prompt appears.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your DELL Windows Me CD, if it doesn't say "recovery" on it, is probably a full version but one that's been "doctored" by DELL to stop it from being installed on a non-Dell PC. You are right not to put XP on your PC at this time because 128MB RAM is not nearly enough to run it smoothly. 256MB is a minimum, and 512MB is the really best compromise between cost and performance. But doubling your RAM would not cost the earth, neither would a new xp compatible graphics card. For Win Me, you format the disk by booting from an Me floppy startup disk and typing FORMAT C: when the DOS prompt appears.