Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up home Lan

• Please log in to reply

ihardy

ihardy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hi
i wanna setup a home network with my laptop and pc they both have network cards and ethernet cards, i am doing this so i can share my dial-up connection/ transfer data and so i can network game with my mates.

do i just have to get a network lead? also wat lead is best?

i dont wanna do wireless just yet as i cant afford the stuff

Advertisements

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
pretty much all leads are the same. What OS are you running?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well, it wouldn't be wise to 'share' a dialup connection as it is too slow when only one person is using it, let alone two. I suggest you get DSL from SBC Yahoo since it is only $15/mo right now and 75times faster then dialup. If you want to make it so you can use the dialup service on both machines, obviously not at the same time of course, you can get a splitter that plugs into your phone wall jack and then you will have 2 phone jacks instead of one and can then run a phone cord to each computer's modem.

As for the home networking part of it, I suggest you get a simple router, only like $30 or so for a decent one. Once you get the router, power down the pc and laptop, turn on the router and then connect the network cables from the router ot the laptop and pc, then turn on the pc and laptop and you're ready to go!

* You also need to make sure that both computers are in the same 'workgroup' or else you wont be able to easily connect to each other through the router. If you don't know what workgroups on computers are, then reply to this message, else good luck and have fun gaming! :tazz: *

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
i am using XPsp2, i get wat ya mean about sharing dial-up it is just that i want faster speeds for the pc as the speed is CRAP on that. also the network would not be running all the time just when i need it as i dont want another wire permantly plug in laptop.

do i need a router? i am trying to spend as litlle as possible

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Are only two computers max going to be connected to the network at any time? If there are going to be no more then two eveyr connected at one time, you can just by a cross-over cable instead of the standard RJ-45 network cable and link the two computers together that way. Would save you the money because it'll be cheaper then buying a router and 2 network cables.

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
yeah only 2 will be connected, that way sounds much better than spending out for a router
thanks for all help i will get the crossover cable and post results

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Just get 1 lan cable. make sure it's the right length and plug it in to your laptop and dasktop. then run the network setup wizard on both :tazz:

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
i got the crossover cable this afternoon and now i have got the network all up and running,
thanks for help