Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 sp1 won't start

• Please log in to reply

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I've been through all of the techniques/steps described in the "click here"

This machine did have a serious spyware/malware infection. After much work by 2 different geeks here, the machine appears to be clean. However, Internet 6 sp1 will not open. If I roll the version back to 5.5, it works fine, but cannot make it work once it's updated. Have tried every trick I can think of to no avail. I hope someone out there has some ideas for me.

Posted below is the latest hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:12:09 AM, on 9/9/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWNETSUP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWEEPSRV.SYS
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWUPDATE.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wm.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\dpmw32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\NWTRAY.EXE
C:\Novell\GroupWise\Notify.exe
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\ICMON.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.220_J01TRICOUNT\Desktop\Ewido\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDPS] C:\WINNT\system32\dpmw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NWTRAY] NWTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: GroupWise Notify.lnk = C:\Novell\GroupWise\Notify.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterCheck Monitor.LNK = C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\ICMON.EXE
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1125696452531
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Client Update Service for Novell (cusrvc) - Novell, Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\cusrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus Network (SweepNet) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWNETSUP.EXE
O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus (SWEEPSRV.SYS) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWEEPSRV.SYS
O23 - Service: Sophos Anti-Virus Update (SweepUpdate) - Sophos Plc - C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWUPDATE.EXE
O23 - Service: Novell Workstation Manager (WM) - Novell, Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\wm.exe

By the way...the Novell and Groupwise stuff had no effect on this problem. It would not work before they were installed and still won't work.

***More info.......the problem seems to be that the IE command won't open a window. If I use the address bar in a regular window, I can get to web pages with no problem. If I try to create a shortcut to a webpage though, the shortcut will not work, no window will open, and if I right click on the shortcut, I get an error saying that the file could not be found.

Edited by rrush, 09 September 2005 - 09:24 AM.

Advertisements