Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I tried to run my disk cleanup, and it freezes on the compressing old files step. I let it run overnight and it never passed that step. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
try unchecking the compressed old files option and see if it finishes. Then download Cleanup! from here and when it's down installing and the application is running, click options and make sure standard cleanup is selected, then click OK and then START.

Then after Cleanup! is finished, it will ask if you want to log off to delete some files that are currently in use, click OK/Yes, then once you are logged back in, try disk cleanup again this time checking the compressed old files option.

Post back how things went to this thread.

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I haven't seen anywhere to uncheck that option. It just starts running the cleanmgr. Where would that be?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi yoursangoma,

Welcome to Geeks To Go, my name is Tony.

Have you done an anti-virus scan, and anti-spyware scan?

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yeah I had to get rid of the Aurora spyware and i did all the stuff they say to do to get rid of that. The staff asked me to do the disk clean as part of the cleanup and it got stuck on the compressing old files.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
So you did a HJT? (Im not asking for one to be posted, just asking in genral)

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yeah I did!