Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to join Live chat

• Please log in to reply

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Three options for connecting to Geeks to Go Live Chat (IRC):

1) The easiest method for most. Click here if you don't have an IRC client (mIRC, Icechat etc). You can use the Java applet (you need to have Sun's Java installed).

2) If you are familiar with IRC, and have a client installed:
Server: irc.geekshed.net
Channel: #geekstogo

3) Download mIRC from here http://www.mirc.com/get.html and install it by following onscreen instructions. Then open mIRC by going to Start > Programs > mIRC click mIRC.

With mIRC open just click contiue. Then you will get a box like (enter your own information).

Posted Image

Enter the infomation needed. Then click ok Then go to Tools options. click servers

Posted Image

Click add and enter the infomation as shown in this picture

Posted Image

Then click add, Then click ok.

Then click Tools > options again then click connect to server

You will then get a box like

Posted Image

Type #geekstogo then click join

Posted Image

Then you are ready to chat!

Advertisements

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't IRC chat rooms provide a hole in security? I mean I have read/heard several stories of different things coming through IRC clients. To me it would seem IRC clients would be about the same as P2P programs.

Maybe that's just me though...

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet chat or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message, as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client.

http://en.wikipedia....rnet_Relay_Chat

Read 'Attacks' in the above article to prove your point. Though it's wrong.

On a secure server such as wyldryde the only risks you have is if you accept randoms files from random users - it's just another form of instant messaging.
Common sense will save you from most dangers.

Yes there are IRC servers dedicated to distributing malware and collecting personal information, though that's far away from the legitimate server this guide helps you to connect too. Part of this site fights to rid the internet from such things, there no reason we would be recommending them to our users.

P2P is a whole different realm, it can be used for legitimate purposes but often isn't. Malware is heavily distributed through these networks.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Edited by Mike, 20 September 2008 - 04:08 PM.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
ha! yes it does. This just goes to prove that you shouldn't believe everything you read. Where what i have read was true, The part that was left out in what i read was what you just stated. Thanks for the info.

edit: By the way, I like the avatar animation xD

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 20 September 2008 - 04:09 PM.

Brewcpooh

Brewcpooh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a problem with my 4 yr old Gateway GT5032 which doesnt like to turn on if it restarts or reboots. If I unplug the MB or HD then it will power up. Do I need another mother?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You need to post in the Hardware forum, this area is for dealing with the Live Chat only.

jimbir

jimbir

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

MIRC is not free. right?

Disruption

Disruption

Geek in Training

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

MIRC is not free. right?

//<![CDATA[
var _gaq = _gaq || [];_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-103758-1']);_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);(function() {var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);})();(function(b){(function(a){"__CF"in b&&"DJS"in b.__CF?b.__CF.DJS.push(a):"addEventListener"in b?b.addEventListener("load",a,!1):b.attachEvent("onload",a)})(function(){"FB"in b&&"Event"in FB&&"subscribe"in FB.Event&&(FB.Event.subscribe("edge.create",function(a){_gaq.push(["_trackSocial","facebook","like",a])}),FB.Event.subscribe("edge.remove",function(a){_gaq.push(["_trackSocial","facebook","unlike",a])}),FB.Event.subscribe("message.send",function(a){_gaq.push(["_trackSocial","facebook","send",a])}));"twttr"in b&&"events"in twttr&&"bind"in twttr.events&&twttr.events.bind("tweet",function(a){if(a){var b;if(a.target&&a.target.nodeName=="IFRAME")a:{if(a=a.target.src){a=a.split("#")[0].match(/[^?=&]+=([^&]*)?/g);b=0;for(var c;c=a[b];++b)if(c.indexOf("url")===0){b=unescape(c.split("=")[1]);break a}}b=void 0}_gaq.push(["_trackSocial","twitter","tweet",b])}})})})(window);//]]>

//<![CDATA[
try{if (!window.CloudFlare) {var CloudFlare=[{verbose:0,p:0,byc:0,owlid:"cf",bag2:1,mirage2:0,oracle:0,paths:{cloudflare:"/cdn-cgi/nexp/dok3v=1613a3a185/"},atok:"a299310e91f4d6eebb89dc88b710015a",petok:"5cc03f406005ca599298fd953e9b7c03db321b42-1500516983-1800",zone:"geekstogo.com",rocket:"0",apps:{"ga_key":{"ua":"UA-103758-1","ga_bs":"2"}}}];!function(a,b){a=document.createElement("script"),b=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0],a.async=!0,a.src="//ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/dok3v=85b614c0f6/cloudflare.min.js",b.parentNode.insertBefore(a,b)}()}}catch(e){};
//]]>

You are correct. It is not free. There are other free versions available however.

LegendHD

LegendHD

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey i need help

LegendHD

LegendHD

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computers apps won't open and when they do they close by themselves.

LegendHD

LegendHD

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HElP CANT ACCESS MY EMAIL

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Legend, this thread is not for computer help. If you are having issues, you need to post in the appropriate forum. What operating system are you running?

Enpatsu Shakugan

Enpatsu Shakugan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

This sounds like fun. Chats are the best way to really get acquainted with the community. I'll try this out sometime!

latinamruitment

latinamruitment

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Very nice post.