Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP keeps logging off

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Guys,

I'm running windows xp, user complaint of not being able to open certain programs, i ran disk clean up, and a spy remover and anti virus to clean up some spyware and virus etc... several virus and spyware was detected and remove.

after restarting the computer every attempt to log on under every profile fails, it appears to be logging on, then you see the message "logging off"... and it logs me back out...
i cannot get back in.. either local or on the network.
I suspect it might be a virus but i am not sure...i cant get in to clean it again..
i tried recovering for last know good configuration... that doesn't work
i am tring to do a repair from the windows cd... but for some reason, when i get the prompt to boot from the cd and i press any button it won't respond, i know the keyboard is working.. so i am at a lost at the moment

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and can help me...PLEASE!!!!!!

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hi and welcome to GeekstoGo
First do you have windows XP CD?
If you do you can boot into recovery console and run sfc /scannow
this would replace any damaged modules on your machine from the CD.

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I click r, get to recovery console, type 1 and enter, then my password.

After that, then what?

I typed sfc /scannow and nothing happens

I also tried something /rebuild but i didn't know what to type when it asked questions

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

If you do you can boot into recovery console and run sfc /scannow

In my experience, you can't run sfc from the RC.

Also, in my experience, the best fix for this problem is a Repair Install of Windows.