Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word 2000 Problem

• Please log in to reply

Moggy44

Moggy44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Using word 2000 works fine until I close program, when I get a pop-up box tell me that someone else is using a file "Normal" in Windows/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates/Normal this seems to be the blank template, the only way I can get rid of it, is to keep clicking no when it shows the error.

The machine is used as a stand alone and not on a Network.

how can I get rid of this problem.
Regards John

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks To Go

I've had the exact same problem that you have. This occured when I copied Microsoft Office from a different computer, rather than installing it properly. Even if you installed it properly, it's possible your MS Office got damaged somehow. Try reinstalling it, that should fix your problem like it did for me.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Could be a corrupt Normal.dot file.
1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. In the left pane, click All files and folders.
3. In the Named box, type normal.dot, and then click OK.
4. When the search process is complete, right-click Normal.dot, and then click Rename.
5. In the box that appears, type Normal.old, and then press ENTER.

Repeat steps 4 through 5 to rename each file named Normal.dot in the search results list as Normal.old.
6. Start Word.

This creates a new Normal.dot template.

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2005 - 11:24 AM.