Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Service Pack 2 problem

• Please log in to reply

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I recently installed service pack 2 on my computer, on a new harddrive.

It installed fine etc, but now I cannot open internet explorer and control pannel, the computer does not seem to respond to this. But if you open AOL IM or MSN, they connect fine.

I ran a system restore, and my computer works fine without SP2.

Is there anybody that could possibly help me with this problem, I am not very knowledgable of service pack 2 and windows xp :tazz:

Many thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
SP2 has caused many problems, the ones I know of are like applications won't maximise from the task bar, the slow response and application hanging.
It depends what the specifications of your PC are? some PC's can handle it, others can't.
try to re-install SP2 again, and if you get the same problem do the following (Start -> Run and type sfc /scannow) you need to have the Windows XP CD in your drive.
See if that solves the problem.

Good luck.

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have actually had SP2 on this computer before, but had the hardrive replaced by the computer manufacturer, so it should work fine.

I will reinstall in a moment and give that 'Run' prompt a go. What does that actually do?

Thanks,
Matt

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have done what you suggested, and it completed the check, but hasnt resolved the problem :S. I know that the computer is compatible, as I have used to before on the system - but have had to have a new hardrive - which is exactly the same as the one I had before.

Any other ideas, would be appreciated,
Many thanks,
Matt

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

It installed fine etc, but now I cannot open internet explorer and control pannel, the computer does not seem to respond to this.

View Post

Do IE and ControlPanel give some sort of an error while opening, or they just hang?

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
They do seem to make the curser 'react' as if its trying to do something for 2 seconds, but then it just goes quiet. No errors whatsoever.

It does slow down the rest of the computer generally once you try to open IE or CPanel.

Thanks again.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can you give your system config.
Also whats the size of your pagefile?

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry, I dont understand what you mean by "Also whats the size of your pagefile?"

Sorry.

i will list all my system configs for you shortly.

Thanks again,
Matt

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Start -> Run.
Type: dxdiag
Press <enter>

This opens the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click on the System tab.
Post the strings in the Processor, Memory and Pagefile fields.

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
processor: intel® pentium® 4CPU 2.60GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page file: 182mb used 1067MB availible

thanks

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Can you post a HijackThis log here, at the same time as you PC starts to slow down after starting IE and control panel.

For instructions on using HijackThis refer STEP FIVE in the following link:
http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Will try this now, Will have to reinstall service pack 2 -because the computer works fine without it.

Thanks

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sent you the first hijack this log, will have to try it with SP2 running, because I doubt it will run it. Generally most programs hang.

I tried yesterday and a "Dr Watson Post-Mortem" thing came up, but this was the first time this message had appeared.

Matt

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Keep getting this dr watson message now whenever I try to open anything with SP2 on.

Any ideas?
Thanks