Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB 2 External DVD-R drive behaving like USB1

• Please log in to reply

Jwred5

Jwred5

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I bought a Pacific Digital DVD-R drive about a month ago, basically a lite-on in a USB 2 casing, and it's worked perfectly up to now, burning DVD-R's at 4X in about 15 minutes. Today however, when I plugged it into the USB port on my T40, a message saying "HI SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED-HUB" and when i tried to burn a DVD, it only burned at about 1X and took an hour. So I'm guessing, either my USB driver is corrupt or the drive somehow reverted back to USB1. I did a PC-Doctor on the USB drive and it said its working fine, so I'm thinking for some reason my DVD drive reverted back to USB1? is that even possible? any help would be appreciated, thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

Jwred5

Jwred5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did a little more checking by looking at the device manager sorted by connection, and it seems that the device manager is assigning the drive to USB controller 24C4 instead of the USB 2 controller 24CD, anyone know why this might be happening?

jrock

jrock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having exactly the same problem. T40 XP. Recently got two new USB2 devices (Maxtor HD and Sony DVDRW). They worked fine for a couple of days, then same as Jwred, they're assigned to USB controller 24C4.

Any solution? Insight? Suggestions?

Thanks