Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Switch with Wireless recommendations

• Please log in to reply

Shrub

Shrub

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Can someone recommend a good switch for me please? I have 2 PCs and a BB modem connected to a switch so far through cables, but I want to add a wireless machine up to the network, so, ideally I need to replace the switch with both wired and wireless inputs (not enough power outlets for 2 seperate hubs) - preferably one that can adapt itself to use crossover cables like my current one does.

Thanks

Edited by Shrub, 09 September 2005 - 09:56 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I suggest you dump the crossover cable ICS connection idea and get a wireless router, they aren't cheap but they will work the best then trying to "Macgyver" a scheme that will work, but will cause all sorts of problems and will inevitably make you wish you had gotten the wireless router to begin with :tazz:

Shrub

Shrub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can't afford a wireless router - they're about £100.
My set up is 2 PCs, connected to a wired switch, one via switch, one via crossover (it accepts both) and the switch is connected to the BT Voyager 205 router/firewall (works perfectly once you install a fan).
I've seen some boxes that have both wired and wireless connections for about £40, but I'm not exactly sure if they're switches or not.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Is there another reason that you are wanting to stay with a switch instead of just cost... such as security? Some very common attacks like the ones listed below are vey effective against switches... and not effective against the linksys WRT54G router:

Flaws of Switches -
ARP spoofing -- fooling the target computer into using your own MAC address for the network gateway, or alternatively getting it to use the broadcast MAC.

MAC flooding -- overloading the switch with a large number of MAC addresses, so that it drops into a "failopen mode".

The Linksys router mentioned above has an internal firewall and is able to Clone your MAC Address to help prevent these attacks.

I am not aware of the current conversion rate from US Dollars to the Euro Dollar but here is a link to purchase a Linksys router cheaply:

http://www.newegg.co...Adwords&ATT=749

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Add the links to the other switches you found and i will let you know if they are switches or routers.

Shrub

Shrub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I hadn't given security much thought really. I don't think there are many people at all with wireless set ups in my area let alone wardriver types.

Can the range be set on wireless devices? the PC I'm trying to connect is in the living room which is almost directly below my room - the distance is about 4 meters, so can I set the range of a wireless switch to under ten meters?

So this thing is a broadband modem as well then? http://www.microdire...990&GroupID=293

Edited by Shrub, 14 September 2005 - 11:50 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
That Link is ideal for what you need...It is a wireless Access Point.... Meaning you could Daisy Chain it to your switch to provide a combo Wired / Wireless network. Beware it only has 1 Cat5 ethernet port on the back [input]

It is not a Cable Modem Combo though... You will have to do some more looking to find that, just look on the linksys web site [listed below] and search through the wireless access points and you should be able to find a broadband modem combo.. but that wouldnt be right for you since the access points only have 1 cat5 input and no other outputs other than wireless.

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

On the security issue you replied about I wasn't referring to someone setting outside your house with a laptop and another wireless card accessing your network that way... I was referring to the not so honest persons who roam the servers looking for open ports and unprotected or unblocked ip addresses - they can be anywhere in the world as long as they have an internet connection. They normally dont just do malicious stuff like that for fun (unless they are juveniles) but instead are looking for ways to make money... (identity theft, credit card frauds, Software theft... that kind of stuff)

Range issue - Yes, with the linksys equipment, one of the settings in the web based browser setup, under wireless security, is a setting called RADIUS - that refers to a distance of accessability.

Shrub

Shrub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, but I can't add another device to the chain - for practicality reasons I can't add another device to my extension cord.
I'm thinking of buying too PCI wireless NICs and using ICS seeing that the PC in my room is on most of the day, I presume Linksys NICs have options for decreasing the accessability radius. Zone Alarm would be alright for this too, wouldn't it?

I don't understand how a hacker from hundreds or thousands of miles gain access via wifi. The voyager modem isn't that great but it does have some good security tools inside it protecting my LAN, and even if WAN was open how can they gain access to it without going through my modem? Do you mean for any kind of network? If so, I think my modem is set up properly (for LAN at least, so far), and BT should be secure enough at their end

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I am not a hacker so i cant tell you how they do it.... but the basic principal is that if you are connecting to the internet - then anyone else on the internet can connect back to you.... providede you have good enough security to keep them out you will not have to worry about this.
Here is a good link to check your current security... If you good a total stealth reading in all areas you have nothing to worry about:

heres the link: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Shrub

Shrub

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ah, scary. Thanks for the link, I'll have a go at making things more secure later. I have a bit less to worry about now because I've just closed my ebay and paypal accounts, but I still need to do a lot to make my network stealthy.

2 PCI wireless NICs will work perfectly fine with internet connection sharing, won't they? I'd only need the 11Mbps kind too so the total should be much cheaper than buying a new router.