Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fresh install of XP Pro..

• Please log in to reply

Neos

Neos

• Pip
  • 7 posts
First post.

Here it is - short form.
New Seagate SATA 80G drive
Format and write zeros with Seagate utility.
Load XP Pro, and then SP1.
Load most of my programs - all is well.
Load Office XP, and get the BSOD - in a re-boot loop.

It says:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(BLAH BLAH in the middle about protecting my PC) ..then at the bottom:
***viamraid.sys - address F820B9A0 base at F82C1000, datestamp 4063c304

I have redone this 5 times.

Thanks for any and all help.

Athlon XP 1500
MSI MATX board
Asus V9400X vid card (dual monitors)
Kingtom 512 Mg. ram

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try loading XP then update from Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Load Office XP and then go back to Microsoft Update

Neos

Neos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply. I may do that as a last resort. The reason I hesitate is that some of my programs are old, and they have worked perfectly for a long time with what have had. When I have done MS updates in the past - it gave problems.

I am wondering if there is a problem with the Via raid on the MSI board? Even in saying that - it worked for weeks with the new SATA drive. That makes me think that somehow I may have malware that will not go away - even with zeros written all over the new drive and a new install.

Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have only just installed Office you could remove it, update XP to SP2 then load Office

I seem to remember seeing that sometimes using the same version of installer as is on the OS can help

Neos

Neos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks
I may try that. I have had problems with SP2 in the past - old programs and all.

Neos

Neos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well - this has me buffaloed. I will probably have to send it to another forum.

I have not loaded Office XP. I did go back to the older hd and burned some backup files and some small utility programs - brought them/installed to the new SATA.

All was well - and I went to log on the web - BOOM ...the BSOD. It done a re-boot - but did at least come back into the OS this time.

Ideas? I think I must have a hardware problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To check for a couple of things, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should