Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - I think I deleted something crucial.

• Please log in to reply

FridayNightLights

FridayNightLights

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had malware (PS Guard) on one of the PCs in my lab and I ran all the programs that you have listed in the "try this before" section. However, I believe I deleted something crucial for Win 2000 professional to load because now when I start up the computer - the icon's are gone and when I try to click on the start button it just freezes up.

Please help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select command prompt, type sfc /scanonce then press enter, you may need the 2000 CD

FridayNightLights

FridayNightLights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the sfc/scanonce . Still doing the same thing. No icons and mouse stays on an hourglass.

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Hi, I'm Freddie.

What program did you use? If you used Ad Aware or Spybot you can restore the entries that you deleted if it caused problems.

They both make backup copies of the entries you removed.

Freddie

FridayNightLights

FridayNightLights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi, I'm Freddie.

What program did you use? If you used Ad Aware or Spybot you can restore the entries that you deleted if it caused problems.

They both make backup copies of the entries you removed.

Freddie

View Post

I used all of them, but I think it was spybot that cause the problem. How do even get to the log if I'm frozen up in the window. When I try to run it in safe mode the icons show up, but they do not a program linked to them so I can click on them.

any ideas on what I can do....

thanks,

Kim

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
EDIT: Unaccurate advice.

Edited by FreddieKrugerGuy, 09 September 2005 - 11:59 AM.

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
How dumb of me, I didn't realise you are using Windows 2000. Please excuse me.

You can try this:

Open the Task Manager by typing Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Then run a new task called SpybotSD.exe

Spybot should open up. You can restore the entries from there.

Freddie

FridayNightLights

FridayNightLights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The computers in this lab are using Win 2000 professional. Does this operting system have system restore?

It is now telling me to insert the SP 3 CD

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Have a look at Post 7.

FridayNightLights

FridayNightLights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Wow, I'm sorry about all the misspellings and missed words in the above posts.

I tried to run a new process SpybotSD.exe, but it doesn't do anything. It just freezes up and then says task manager not responding.

Any other suggestions?

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Can you access your start-menu? You can always enter spybot from there.

Freddie

FridayNightLights

FridayNightLights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, when I click on it - it freezes up.

AWSOME195

AWSOME195

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, my friend got the Nail.exe virus so I instructed him to download and install AVG free edition and run it to see if that would fix it. He ran it and found the Nail.exe and also found his svhost.exe file infected. He deleted the Nail.exe and tried to heal it. When it didn't heal he deleted it. Now when he boots Windows XP Pro it prety much freezes except for the use of the task manager.

I tried to boot in safe mode, last known configuration and system restore option, it had the same problem every time and the system restore option froze. I also tried to boot from windows xp cd and choose the repair option but his computer would not boot from the windows xp cd for some reason. Also, I do not think that the Nail.exe virus was completely destroyed.

Is there a way to fix this?

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Let me butt in for a second to see if I can get this down.

You CAN boot into safe mode and get your icons, but they don't seem to lead to anything...

Instead of using your desktop icons in safe mode, can you use the icons either in the Start menu or can you navigate to the Program Files folder and launch the executable for Spybot from there?

I'm not sure this is going to help you, but restoring those files is definitely the first good step.