Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dont know as much as I thought I did

• Please log in to reply

cybergeek102

cybergeek102

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I recently bought a laptop computer but I am unable to access the Internet. My laptop is supposed to already be configured for Internet usage. What do I need to do? I have a Dell Latitude CPx H with Windows XP Pro. How do I verify that I already have a NIC installed??

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hrm... "Internet Ready" can mean that its only got a modem built-in.
All the specs I'm finding on that model show its got a modem, but as far as a NIC, you'd have to get a PCMCIA Card

cybergeek102

cybergeek102

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks for the advice. What is a PCMCIA card and where could I get one?

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
:tazz: I could get all technical, but thats not why you're here.
Suffice it to say that PCMCIA is the technical term for the expansion cards that go into a laptop / notebook.

Anymore, if you just search for a notebok lan card or something similar, you'll find a ton of places offering them. Just look for one that's a good deal / decent brand. (Blitz, Linksys, D-Link come to mind) And you should be fine.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
are you trying to use dial-up, cable, dsl, ??

to verify that you had a modem/nic whatever just look in the device manager, right click on my computer-properties-hardware-device manager.

you dont have to get pcmcia, there are usb nic cards out there if you have usb ports.
pcmcia cards go into a little slot in the side of your computer

Edited by todd333, 09 September 2005 - 12:36 PM.

cybergeek102

cybergeek102

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I checked to see if I had a modem, but I didn't. So, I checked under Network Adapters. I found that I had a Xircom CardBus Ethernet II 10/100. Do I still need to get a card?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
id depends on how your are trying to connect are you trying to dial in? if you have a cable or dsl connection you dont need to buy anything just plug a cable from the back ofyour computer to the connection, most new laptops have onboard modems and network cards

cybergeek102

cybergeek102

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the help and patience, Todd and Nullwolf.