Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i did abort and reboot.. trying to get rid of symantic because it said they were clashing? but i think it's stuck on getting rid of symantic

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh boy! Norton again....my lucky day :)

Sorry...I'm dealing with that in another topic... :tazz:

Norton has a very messy uninstall...just ask me, I could expound on that one for hours!!!

Try to get it past that...removing symantic for now...there are better ways.

Let me know when you are booted in Normal Mode.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i'm in normal mode.. keeps coming up with erros about my not having sufficient privelages to remove it (symantic that is)...

i might have to call it a night.. i need to do some homework still

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead...get some rest.

I'll post some good removal instructions to get Norton off...it's a little tricky to get it all, but it can be done.

We'll finish this tomorrow, I think.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good morning charZar...

First, using msconfig, make sure that ALL Norton/Symantec entries under the Startup tab are NOT checked.

Second, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any Norton/Symantec progams found there beginning with the actual AV program, then Live Reg, and then Live Update...these must be removed in this order if present.

Then Please go HERE and download SymNRT.exe (about half way down the page), put it on a floppy, and run it on "Wunderbox". This should get the remnants of the Norton 2004. Hopefully this is the culprit as version 8 must be removed manually from the registry...we can do it, but it is a bit involved.

And the last step...Click Start and then Run type msiexec /unregister (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".
Your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /regserver (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".
Again, your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Reboot and see if you can run Avast AV.

I'll be in and out today, so if I don't post right back, be patient...I will get back to you.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 September 2005 - 10:41 AM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
all the symantic stuff is off and avast ran and found no infected files.. i had it do a thorough scan and it took just over an hour.. the computer is running pretty well.. the only real delay i've noticed is in the startup.. it'll stay on that windows is loading blue screen for a longer duration than normal, but the shutdown is fast.. and opening folders and whatnot is fast.. i haven't done much with programs..

looks like we're progressing.. just not sure about the programs.. and it looks like it got rid of disk defragmenter..

opening itunes, it said some things weren't found and to reinstall.. i'm assuming that's normal for what you said with all we did to the computer..

also, in the properties for my computer, it says sp1.. i'm guessing we got rid of sp2 through all that? ..are we going to be able to safely put it back on here?

it does seem to be functionable.. i'm just going to suggest she get some kind of fan to blow on this while propping it up.. it's SO hot..

talk to you soon!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi charZar...

That's great news!

Have her go ahead and go to Windows Update and start grabbing the updates. If SP2 doesn't show up on the first few runs, I'll show you a way to download it to burn. It's a microsoft procedure from their site, so it's all above board.

We are making progress...it's a running machine!!! The program issues were expected and are easily repaired...once the operating system is back where we want it, and we're very close now. :tazz:

You've done a tremendous job!

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i have sp2 as an application kind of thing-that's how i got it in the first place.. we can't run the internet without it so i can't run windows update..

is it bad to get sp2 on it before the other updates?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Go ahead an load it...it should have all the previous updates included.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

When you get SP2 installed, would you post me a fresh HJT log. Just want to make sure we got rid of all the Symantec stuff before we get started repairing your applications.

Thanx!

wannabe1

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i'll do the log when i get back from class, just wanted you to know IT'S WORKING!! the load up is slow, but everything else is fine.. we've got the internet running, scans of sorts going, updates, she's happy that she gets to actually use it, and it works.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

the only program so far that says it doesn't work fully, like i stated before, is itunes.. and the disk defragmenter.. other than that, it looks good.. except for the really slow startup..

thanks again and i'll talk to you later

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i'm back! things are perfect with her computer right now.. i've been going through checking up and updating everything.. avast found 14 trojans and i moved them, which is what it suggested.. should i delete them?

the trojans are the files that had to do with that elitetoolbar, as far as i could tell..

i did put on the hddtemp program i have on my computer to watch the temperature.. i also updated, like i said, avast and adaware.. i reinstalled itunes.. aim is working.. the other programs seem to work fine..

GOOD WORK!!

Edited by charZar, 16 September 2005 - 11:22 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Not a trace of Norton/Symantec in the log... :tazz: You can edit the log out of that post if you'd like.

Go ahead and delete the trojans Avast found.

Trevuren (in Malware) has requested that I have you install and run AVG7 before you head over to Malware. Uninstall the Avast, Download and install the AVG7, update it, and run it. He also said there is a small amount of Malware left on the machine. Please replace your last HJT log post over there with a fresh log.

To clear up that last couple of problems, run this procedure.
Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

After the Malware folks finish with Wunderbox, please post back here for a couple of last step procedures (and, of course, a progress report!) I have to admire the way you have stuck with this...you've been great to work with!

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
avg is asking for a license number.. i can't continue without it.. ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this link AVG7