Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
step by step with screencaps
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Johanna

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ok, thanks wannabe1 SO much for that.. it worked in the sense that now, it's back to it's crappy self, but no more blue screen!! thanks bunches!... ..now, i don't know if you'd have any idea what to do now, but when it rebooted and everything loaded, the ctrl alt del mechanism to bring up the windows task manager didn't work (still) and i right clicked on the recycling bin and, yeah, froze so.. i am VERY grateful for getting me through the blue screen and 'fixing' windows..

when we re-booted it after freezing, it worked-went to the normal screen and got her to put in her password, but froze on her when she tried doing something..

i just don't know..

should i get rid of sp2 before it does something stupid again?..

THANKS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Yes to SP2...you'll need the security patches it provides.

Now that you have a running machine...it's time for a trip to the Malware Forum...From what you described earlier, that machine is probably loaded with nasties! Pull any important files off the machine...documents you want to keep, etc...which is a good idea whether you're having problems or not. (I keep several backups on various media)

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the START HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
wannabe1, i owe you big on this.. many kudos ..will work it some more tomorrow and see how it goes.. grazi!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad I could help, charZar! :tazz:

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
quick question.. the computer will not function in regular mode--i can only do this stuff in safemode.. but, i can't update spybot or adaware or ewido without the internet which one, won't run in safe mode, and two, i don't know if it even works or if it's safe to connect to the network with her cruddy machine.. trojan hunter did find two trojans, one in which i knew about prior.. anyways, my question is, should i just post what i get from hijackthis in the forum you said to, and then wait and see about the other programs?

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Absolutely...be sure to follow the expert's instructions carefully. Once you get the junk off the machine, we'll see if we can't get it running like it's supposed to. :tazz:

Note...You can also download these programs on your machine and install them to her machine via floppy and/or cd.....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 03:00 PM.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
In the intetrests of getting you speedy help, let me recommend this:

If you can't run it in regular mode, just do the safe mode scan, post that log to the malware fourm, and tell them you cant connect or update. They've seen it many times before.

If my colleague wannabe were online, I'm sure he'd agree with this recommendation.
If not, then he'll have to catch me first :tazz: :)

Good luck
EMCguy

I see he beat me to it. He must have a T1 line :)

Edited by EMCguy, 11 September 2005 - 03:08 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i can't really get rid of the junk though--i ran hijackthis in safemode and, i don't think the bad stuff is running because the scan was short and didn't have anything suspicious in it (which i guess is the point of 'safe' mode).. the other programs won't run at all without being updated initially, and ad-aware isn't finding anything (anymore) because i'm unable to update the definitions..

the only program that did work (i did dl them all to a jump drive) was the trojan hunter..

i'm going to attempt running the computer in normal mode and see if i can't get hijackthis, or anything for that matter, to function

is there anyway to transfer my updated programs (i dl them to my computer and ran them to see what was infested in my system) with the definitions and all to her computer? or do i have to have to get the updates directly?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Please do try running HJT in normal mode...if you have trouble getting the machine to run in normal mode, post back...I still have a trick or two up my sleeve.......

EMCguy....You got it....1 MBps.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 03:14 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar....

If you have an HJT log, would you post it for me? I'd like to take a look at your running processes...

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it won't even load in normal mode.. sometimes everything will load (all those initial programs) but once you click on start or any icon, it freezes.. i just booted it and it froze before anything but the background could load..

AGH.. haha

this is fun.. i really appreciate it..

...makes me want to work with computers :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Let's boot into safe mode...when you get to the options screen choose safe mode with command prompt.

Let me know when you get that far.

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i just posted the HJT in the malware forum with it running in safemode.. i had disabled some of the 'startup' options in msconfig so i went in and re-enabled them.. that way if they were to run, they uh, were when i ran HJT.. :tazz:

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sorry, that last post of yours came up after i posted, let me do that for you.. ok, i'm that far