Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's fine, charZar...that's all I wanted the log for was to see what processes we could shut down.

I'm assuming you're running in normal mode now, is that correct?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
no, i have it in safe mode with command prompt..i still can't get anything to work in normal mode..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

At the prompt, type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish. Reboot.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it's coming up iwth "the specific error code is 0x000006ba [the RPC server is unavailable]."

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sorry, forgot this.. under the 'typed' portion it says "windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've never had to shut this down from command prompt before...I'm researching, but not coming up with much.

Let's try it from safe mode so we have access to the run command.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ok, booting into safemode.. i'm ready when you are

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Alrighty then!

Just to be sure, try this again...Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well what do you know.. a screen tries to pop up but can't.. and nothing happens..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is being sticky, huh...

Click Start then Run and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation!

When it completes and is back to the desktop, try your machine and post back how it is running.

wannabe1

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well, it did the chkdsk but, now that it's back in normal mode, it froze before i could do anything.. everything started loading properly, but, yeah.. definately frozen.. i need to go eat but, let me know what i should try next and i'll be back in about a half hour or so..

thanks for all the help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok charZar...Just because it is so easy to miss the obvious in favor of the more complex, let's try this...From Safe Mode...

Click Start and point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and click System Restore

On the Welcome to System Restore page, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" (it should be selected by default), and then click "Next"

On the Select a Restore Point page, click a bold date on the calendar to the left...go back a few months if you can, and then click "Next". A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click "Ok".
On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click "Next". System Restore will restore the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restart the computer.

When the System Restore Restoration Complete page appears...Click "Ok".

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
the system restore didn't work-said that date couldn't be restored.. i went back to july 20th or so.. i'll do it again, but i just wanted to say, in normal mode, it's working in teh sense that it's not freezing up when i click on anything or try to open programs, it just won't open the program.. i tried doing HJT but, no such luck... kinda weird.. "run.." does work though, it picks up at least.. i'll wait and see what you think

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

Are there any "Can't live without 'em" files on this machine?

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
from what my friend says, no.. just music.. she's really not a big computer person, if you couldn't tell.. suggesting i just completely reformat the sucker?.. that was the initial plan-but i thought i'd be able to get it working enough for her to deal 'til i got to doing it with assistance...... but we see where that got me..

her files, if i were to backup her music.. do they have a chance of screwing up my ext hdd? because if yes, i'm not doing it :tazz: