Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's always that chance, charZar, but I haven't run into too many infected music files. It's an "Up to you moment"! :tazz:

wannabe1

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well now the machine is messing with my mind.. i can open my computer and the c:drive to look around and it works fine.. but it won't open programs still.. nor would it open msconfig or ctrl alt del.. it shows the computer thinking about it with the hourglass but, nothing happens.. but like i said, i can browse folders with no problem now.. eh?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hold the phone!!!

We might have something to work with here..... :tazz:

Can you get to the Run command?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 08:17 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
sorry.. i didn't see the question.. it froze upon returning from the 'screen shutdown' mode.. i'm rebooting.. i could run 'run' before... YES 'run' is up!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! Let's try the system file checker in normal mode...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).

There is another step I'd like to do after this one (if this one will complete, that is). Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
again, sorry for the delay.. it screwed up.. i went into safe mode and disabled some programs from starting up because they (spysweeper at least) were causing the freezing..

ok, ran that.. it had the little screen and showed progress.. upon finishing. it said nothing.. did nothing.. the normal mode is still working.. ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

the normal mode is still working.. ?

You tell me...is it running a little better?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok charZar....

Now click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

We might be getting close here......

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 09:23 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
YES.. i could open HJT and run it.. should i go into msconfig and let all the processes run so HJT finds all of them?.. i'm excited, but not getting my hopes up.. what do you suggest now

and i'm talking to my boyfriend and he's a bit impressed--he was wondering how you knew how to run these processes (he's a computer buff)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's mostly stuff I've picked up over the years. I'm self taught so a lot of it is trial and error.... :tazz: I've messed up my share of machines and had to figure out how to fix them.

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it is taking a loooong time, at least to get through the fouth stage..

i love your murphey's law signature.. hilarious

just posting so you know i'm still around.. just waiting

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This step should just about have you straightened out...I'll hang around and see how it turns out. That is...if you don't mind.... :tazz:

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
no, i definately want you to hang around :tazz: you've been such a big help.. i wish i could have done all this on my own and felt really smart--hah.. i enjoy this computer stuff.. if pharmacy doesn't work out, maybe i should do computers.. hah..

what exactly are these processes doing to the computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The first check we ran compared the system files on your machine with the same files on the cd and either repaired of replaced the damaged files...

The second one goes a little further and checks the hard drive over for all kinds of errors and then checks all the clusters to see that they'll store data reliably...that's the one that takes forever.... :tazz:

Basically, we rebuilt the operating system from the inside out. Fun, huh?

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 10:11 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your friend owes you one, and I'm impressed with the way you stuck with it!!! You've been great to work with and followed my instructions to a "T". Here's your Geek Wings...you earned them ~~ :tazz: ~~

wannabe1