Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
not out of the woods yet i dont think... programs still won't open .. they did before like i said with HJT.. but now they won't.. should i reboot and see if that helps.... and should i re-enable the processes i disabled (i just did a lot of them so i could stop them from loading initially)?

some of them were bad.. they were from the elitetoolbar trojan that trojan hunter got rid of, but they're still in the 'startup' list..

hm..

thanks for the wings ::really excited smiley face:: that made my day

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...restart...After all this, there are bound to be some things (programs mostly) that aren't going to work and will have to be reinstalled. I wouldn't worry about those until the experts in Malware get their issues straightened out. You may have to reinstall HJT, as well. We just did some pretty serious dancing in your hard drive...it's bound to be a little sore.

What we were after is a running machine for the malware experts to work with...I think we may have that.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 11 September 2005 - 10:28 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
as i'm rebooting, i have a question.. do you know anything of dells in general or just certain models having issues with overheating.. my computer (again, same model as hers) gets hot, which is why i have a cooler... but she doesn't and her's seems to be hotter than mine.. i had it on for maybe ten minutes yesterday and it was blazing.. now, i don't know if its inability to work properly was giving the harddrive a run for it's money and making it work overtime (if that's even possible) but.. it's amazing how hot her system gets.. i've heard someone else say that theirs got really hot and it was the same model... ..not so much that you can fix it, or anyone really can fix it, but just wondering what your thoughts were on it..

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ctrl alt del doesn't work still.. now it pops up but immediately disappears

but adaware and hjt and spysweeper open...

it's definately working better

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Laptops tend to run pretty warm...downright hot compared to a desktop and having a cooler is a very good idea. 150 degrees is not unusual at the processor on a hard working machine. A machine that's working harder than normal because the hard drive has to look for scattered files will push the limits.

Once you're running, you'll want to run the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter under system tools. I would also recommend removing any programs that are not being used. If you have Norton AV or Internet Security on there...leave it, at least for the moment.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

it's definately working better

It wasn't all that long ago it was barely running in safe mode...you've done great.

Get the malware straightened out and post back to this thread if it still needs a little work.

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
this is my last post for the night, it seems that the computer has decided to stop cooperating.. perhaps it's tired.... before i couldn't get msconfig to run.. then it wouldn't reboot from the start-turn off computer.... but then it did... upon reboot, everything was loading and loading and done.. so i selected 'run'.. then it got stuck... reboot again, now it just got itself stuck while loading the startup.. i can click on icons, but when i scroll over the start toolbar, the hourglass comes up.. and the clock stopped as well......

..will continue tomorrow.. must get some homework done, since i didn't really do much... wonder why... :tazz:

oh, i can't click on icons now.. but the mouse works!

thanks again.. i guess i might be bugging you tomorrow

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You both need a break...it may be heat. I'll watch for a progress report.

wannabe1

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
For what its worth

One of my laptops likes to crash and burn due to heat. To keep it running well, I prop up the backend of the laptop with a book, and use a muffin fan to suck the air out of the back. Lets the unit run for hours, but it isnt very portable. :)

You two have been doing a great job. Keep it up. :tazz:

EMCguy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning charZar...

When you run up "wunderbox" today, I'd like you to try to get me an event log. To do this, click Start then Run and type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". In the left pane, choose system and make note of any "red circles with "X's" and post a sample of them here. (a screen shot would be even better, but I'll take what I can get.) Do the same for Applications. Let's see if we can figure out what's hanging your machine.

EMCguy...Thanks for the input and the kind words! I think heat was definitely playing at least some role in our hangs last night. That machine was on a long time!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 06:48 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you suspect heat to be an issue, try to get this program installed to keep tabs on it while Windows is on.
MotherboardMonitor
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Johanna

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well, good morning

the computer is... hm.. it wouldn't load-kept freezing, so i went in safemode and took off a few processes that ran in the startup... but now, though it's not freezing, it won't 'run' anything in normal mode.. i tried the event... then i tried msconfig... no such luck? it shows the hourglass as if it's thinking about it, and then says no.. same with ctrl alt del ... i could open my computer and hjt.. and adaware..... hm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try to sneak in the back door, then. If you can open My Computer...

Double Click My Computer, then double click the C drive, then double click on the Windows folder (click the link to show all files if needed), double click the System32 folder, find the icon labeled cmd.exe and double click it. You should get a command window...at the prompt, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter.

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
no such luck, isn't running it... i'll type it in and hit enter, and it'll just bring up another "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm :tazz:

Try it in Safe Mode......

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 10:44 AM.