Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...

While we're waiting for defrag to complete, let me gather a little more information on your friends machine.

Is the Norton AV on her machine still good? By that, I mean is the subscription still in effect...can it be updated to the newest definitions?

Is her Windows Firewall (Secutity Center in Control Panel) still working?

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
disk defragmenter is done.. should i turn it off and give it a rest? it's hot and tired.. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, give it a reboot and see if it comes up into normal mode.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You also need to turn your System Restore back on...lest we forget.... :tazz:

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it did reboot into normal mode just fine, but i can't open the security center to check and see if it was turned on.. the red balloon does come up (did before at leas) to say the virus protection was out of date or unknown.. she had norton 2004 and the subscription was dead so i gave her symantic version 8.0 (free from our school-and 9.0 wouldn't work for a while with our system or something) but, i was never able to update it.. if that does anything for you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you disable it? If it's not working right it's not doing you much good. If you can disable it I'll point you to a good free AV Program. As for the Windows firewall, we may need to reinstall SP2 to get that going again...we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd really like to get that machine online and get some needed updates. We got rid of the only real virus I could see on the log (was also causing some of our hang problems...that's why I went after it instead of deferring to Malware as I should have) so danger of infecting the network is low. My worry is her machine being reinfected before we can get it protected.

Do you have a CD burner on your machine?

You game for a little more fun, or are you ready to call it a night?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 06:26 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i had to reboot in safemode because nothing would open.. i'm getting ready to do those things.. i didn't ever see norton in the add or remove programs, the bad version, butw hen i tried to delete it's icon, it would always come up with "delete shortcut or go to add/remove programs".... so i really don't know how to disable it.. that's one thing-whenever we reboot the comp, it comes up iwth three seperate "unable to find..." from the norton.. not sure what htey were, i just clicked them so they wouldn't freeze it.. can't say i noticed them after what we just did to the computer though..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try something...

Give me the name of a program on the desktop...one that won't open by clicking the icon (preferrably one you haven't removed :tazz:). Let's just see if the program is still viable.

Reboot into normal mode....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 06:33 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
ok.. well. safemode is no good for us.. won't let us turn on system restore.. and it won't show me options as to wether or not windows firewall is protecting the pc or not.. wouldnt allow the option 'change the way firewall alerts' or something...

i should do homework tonight..

ok if we continue tomorrow?.. i'll actually have nighttime to work with..

Advertisements

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
and yes, i do have a cd burner.. and a jump drive, if you were thinking of transferring stuff..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No Problem....We've come a loooong way towards recovering this machine....

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah....let's get a couple of things to put on her machine real quick...

Go HERE and download Firefox...install it on her machine.

Then go HERE and download the free version of Avast...install it on her machine. Run this one after the install is complete.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 12 September 2005 - 06:41 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar....

You are probably going to have a lot of "dead shortcuts" on the desktop after all this. Tomorrow I'll walk you through replacing them with good ones (as long as the programs are viable)

You've done Great!

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it found something.. file C:\Program files\adtools service\adtools.exe.tcf is infected by win32:adan-004 [adw]

do i want to delete, move, repair, ignore, exit?