Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adware threat [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

auntjackie50

auntjackie50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did find the file but it says can't delete can't read from file or disk

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again Jackie

I didn't understand what this meant

It doesn't go to quarentine or recycle bin. this is what came up. I am only user on this computer.

What doesn't go to quarantine etc. What did you do to get that response? Is this from an attempt to purge or an attempt to delete.

What can you do from the Norton AV control panel? I might have to find someone with NAV to take you through this, that might be difficult.

auntjackie50

auntjackie50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
You said I should try deleting it but it doesn't go to recycle bin. I got that response when I went to run, cmd, & typed what you told me. You then said delete user but I'm only user.

auntjackie50

auntjackie50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was just looking at Norton log & it used to say the files were gator files now they are gain.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Gator, Gain, Claria are all the same company - that might be an explanation.

My understanding of the function of the NPRB is to save all the files you try to delete normally, just in case you ever want them.

Everything I've read tells me that you can choose to have this function enabled or disabled. I believe that this follows on from the Norton Control Function normally found in your taskbar i.e.

According to Symantec, this is how you delete the files within.

Reboot into safe mode

To empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin

1. On your desktop, right-click the Norton Protected Recycle Bin, and then click Properties.
2. On the Recycle Bin tab, in the Title field, change the text to "Recycle Bin."
3. On the Norton Protection tab, uncheck Enable protection.
4. Click Empty Protected Files.
5. Click Purge All.
6. Click OK.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 11 September 2005 - 01:16 PM.

auntjackie50

auntjackie50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
There is nothing in NPRB. I didn't have that enable protection checked either. So last post didn't work. In looking at my Norton options I have that in the exclusions. Should I remove it?

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Sorry but you lost me again.

In looking at my Norton options I have that in the exclusions.

What does "that" refer to? Where are the Norton Options?

auntjackie50

auntjackie50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Under threat catagories there's an option for exclusions. Those 2 files are listed as excluded.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I'm still not sure I am understanding this correctly.

Are you saying that in the Norton Control Panel, there is a setting for threats? And within the threats you can select files that are and are not threats? And the two files you originally posted are excluded from being threats?

If so, they are not threats, and only will become threats if they are re-installed by some form of restoration.

What we are trying to achieve is ridding the message which erroneously sees them as threats, of that notice.

Try removing the check mark for them not being a threat, they should not be an exclusion.

auntjackie50

auntjackie50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.