Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Problem?

• Please log in to reply

woods950

woods950

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Please reference the following topic:

http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

Thank you

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
woods950

Interesting :tazz:

You have losts of processes running

What happens in safe mode?

Please reboot into safe mode (continually tap the F8 key while your system is starting, select Safe Mode from the menu)

let it run for awhile, try some wordprocessing.

Let us know how it runs

Best regards,

EMCguy

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I really couldn't tell.

One way I gauge it is if music stutters when opening new programs...that really shouldn't happen...didn't before. Can't test in safe mode.

I also see if the mouse movement is smooth when opening. It appeared to be smooth through opening in safe mode. However, it's sometimes smooth even when opening a program under regular circumstances.

All in all...I got no freakin clue and I know i'm not being a big help here.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
when you talk about playing music, is this problem evident when playing tunes stored locally on your harddrive??

Or only when playing tunes on the interenet?

best regards

EMC guy

Edited by EMCguy, 09 September 2005 - 02:49 PM.

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Is it possible that DVDShrink has installed a Virtual Drive or something that is running in the background?

I assume you have already tried uninstalling these apps.

I would also make a System Restore, restoring to the newest Restore Point BEFORE you installed these apps.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The music files are all local.

I have uninstalled any apps that I installed around the time of the problem's appearance.

I cannot restore because I do not have system restore enabled on this business laptop.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi there,

If you check your task manager, under the performance tab what does it say about CPU and Page File usage, also how much physical memory is in your system, if you could please post the figures here, thanks.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Physical Memory
523632K (528mb)

Page File Usage is at 377MB

CPU Usage fluctuates between 5-20% at all times

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

One more thing under task manager are there any process priorities that are set to 'above normal' or 'Real time?' If so try changing them to nomal. Have you tried opening your music files using another music player program and gotten the same result?

Also

Try unistalling and reinstalling the most up to date drivers for your sound card and video card as well as directx 9c.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Items that are Not Set at Normal Priority:

taskmgr.exe - obviously
Tablet.exe - High
winlogon.exe - High
csrss.exe - High
gcasServ.exe - Low

I have the music issue when using any program that plays music (Winamp, iTunes, WMplayer). I can even tell the "stuttering" when scrolling in programs such as Word.

Thanks.

Advertisements

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi again,

Here are a few more things to try in XP:

Okay, have you tried setting those processes to normal priority?

Also if you could run msconfig, click on services tab and check the hide all microsoft services box and disable all remaining services. Please also also click on the Starup tab and uncheck all the boxes, reboot and see if you still get the same problem.

Don't forget to restart all the services and startup programs again and reboot, once you're done testing.

Edited by fungit, 13 September 2005 - 03:43 PM.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I didn't think of doing that...did it...didn't work.

Even with everything turned off (except for Microsoft Services) it still has the sluggishness and stuttering.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Okay, still a few XP tricks up the sleeve, have you tried adjusting your visual effects for best performance instead of best appearence and checked that process scheduling and memory usage are set for programs instead of background services. Also check to see if your hard drive needs defragging.

Edited by fungit, 15 September 2005 - 09:43 AM.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yep, I have checked all those items. No change in performance.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Could you please post your system specs here, thanks. Also what type of connection are you on?

Edited by fungit, 15 September 2005 - 10:02 AM.